Teachings of President Monson manual

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
russell208

Teachings of President Monson manual

Post by russell208 »

My bishopric has asked me to find out if the Church headquarters will send out the upcoming manual (Teachings of the Presidents of the church: thomas s Monson) to all wards in bulk like they have done in previous years with other CFM manuals etc?
thanks for any input you may have.
BroClark
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Teachings of President Monson manual

Post by lajackson »

I doubt it. Your ward will probably have to order any that they would like to have sent.

You might also note that Distribution no longer sends out the Come Follow Me manuals either (starting this coming year). The ward will need to order them, as well, if needed.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I went back and read the Notice at the Official Communication Library which says:

"Beginning February 2023, individuals may order print copies for their home library by visiting store.ChurchofJesusChrist.org."

There is nothing in the Notice about an automatic distribution. I suppose a ward could order some copies using the same method if they wished to do so.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

A main reason the Church sent out the previous Teachings of the Presidents of the Church manuals was that they were part of the following year's official study curriculum. And the new President Monson volume is now an optional study resource.

Side note: since in 2023 the printed Come Follow Me New Testament study manuals are only slightly changed from what members already received four years ago, it would not make sense for the Church to send out new copies en masse. I expect the new digital version of CFM-NT will be greatly enhanced from the previous digital version.

Which leads me to an interesting thought -- is anyone aware if the digital version of the teachings of President Monson manual, will be different than the print version? Meaning embedded videos, embedded links to additional resources, etc. I don't know if the Church is always or just sometimes creating different printed-vs-digital content for new Church manuals they publish, so just wondering if this new "President Monson" manual might also have digital-only content.
nmecantwin73

Post by nmecantwin73 »

The Church News article about this new manual says the following:
This book can also be used to help prepare for home evening lessons and talks, to supplement lessons at church, and to answer questions about Church doctrine. The introduction offers ideas for personal study and teaching from the book. At the end of each chapter are questions and related scriptures.

Relief Society and elders quorum Sunday meetings will continue to focus on general conference messages... (emphasis added)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

BrianEdwards wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:31 am I don't know if the Church is always or just sometimes creating different printed-vs-digital content for new Church manuals they publish, so just wondering if this new "President Monson" manual might also have digital-only content.
In Gospel Library, while I was looking for the new Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Thomas S. Monson book, I wound up in Church History > Prophets of the Restoration where there is also a section for each of the presidents of the church. The new TPC manual was not there, but I noticed in that section that under Thomas S. Monson there is a set of nine videos.

Perhaps the videos are being kept separate, rather than being included with the TPC manuals, so that the printed and online versions more closely match. The books are under Books and Lessons > Teachings of Presidents. The video material is under Church History > Prophets of the Restoration.

Perhaps this is being done so that the online book more closely resembles the printed version, while extra video material is still available in another section of Gospel Library.

Return to “General Discussions”