Proper channel for escalating network/internet issues?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
derrickfulkerson

Proper channel for escalating network/internet issues?

Post by derrickfulkerson »

What is the proper channel for escalating technical issues related to the network setup in a building? If we aren't able to solve an issue as the STS, who do we go to next?
Biggles

Re: Proper channel for escalating network/internet issues?

Post by Biggles »

derrickfulkerson wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:07 pm What is the proper channel for escalating technical issues related to the network setup in a building? If we aren't able to solve an issue as the STS, who do we go to next?
The Facilities Group would be your next port of call for anything involved with the building network setup.
derrickfulkerson

Biggles wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:33 pm
derrickfulkerson wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:07 pm What is the proper channel for escalating technical issues related to the network setup in a building? If we aren't able to solve an issue as the STS, who do we go to next?
The Facilities Group would be your next port of call for anything involved with the building network setup.
How are they contacted? Do they have an intake form or general email?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

derrickfulkerson wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:39 pm [How are they contacted? Do they have an intake form or general email?
The formal chain of authority in the U.S. is from the STS to the stake high councilor responsible for facilities and then to the Facilities Management Group. If the stake and facilities manager have a good working relationship, the FM may have authorized the STS to contact someone in the FMG directly. Otherwise the STS will have to go through the high councilor to work the issue with the FMG. Our stake and FMG use the Facility Issue Reporting app and/or the online site, fir.churchofjesuschrist.org, to start the communication process.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Depending on the issue, a call to GSD may be in order.

What's the nature of the issue?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
derrickfulkerson

jdlessley wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:51 pm
derrickfulkerson wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:39 pm [How are they contacted? Do they have an intake form or general email?
The formal chain of authority in the U.S. is from the STS to the stake high councilor responsible for facilities and then to the Facilities Management Group. If the stake and facilities manager have a good working relationship, the FM may have authorized the STS to contact someone in the FMG directly. Otherwise the STS will have to go through the high councilor to work the issue with the FMG. Our stake and FMG use the Facility Issue Reporting app and/or the online site, fir.churchofjesuschrist.org, to start the communication process.
Thanks, this is the answer I was looking for.
derrickfulkerson

russellhltn wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:35 pm Depending on the issue, a call to GSD may be in order.

What's the nature of the issue?
I am going to try to go in person tomorrow to troubleshoot better but people couldn't get online via Liahona or Lehi today. They were saying they could see it but not connect. I could see that the main vpn was reachable and pingable but all of the wireless units and switches were "offline" in the CNM. I had someone there manually resetting various devices today. It is hard for me to drive around and spend an hour here and there at buildings doing this kind of stuff but I think to know for sure I need to check in person. Its tough that we are the first line on some of these issues because I am not a trained network technician lol, but I probably know more than the next guy in our Stake.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

derrickfulkerson wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:13 pm people couldn't get online via Liahona or Lehi today. They were saying they could see it but not connect. I could see that the main vpn was reachable and pingable but all of the wireless units and switches were "offline" in the CNM.
Interesting. Was the main switch (the one connected to the firewall) online? If not, then the problem is the connection between the firewall and the switch. Make sure it's in the proper port.

Port 1 of the firewall should be plugged into the SPF module on the switch. There's a pretty good chance the SPF module died. If so, plug the firewall into the highest port on the switch and order a new SPF from FM.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
derrickfulkerson

russellhltn wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:07 pm
derrickfulkerson wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:13 pm people couldn't get online via Liahona or Lehi today. They were saying they could see it but not connect. I could see that the main vpn was reachable and pingable but all of the wireless units and switches were "offline" in the CNM.
Interesting. Was the main switch (the one connected to the firewall) online? If not, then the problem is the connection between the firewall and the switch. Make sure it's in the proper port.

Port 1 of the firewall should be plugged into the SPF module on the switch. There's a pretty good chance the SPF module died. If so, plug the firewall into the highest port on the switch and order a new SPF from FM.
Thanks for the tips, I will check this tomorrow! I couldn't glean much from the photos that were sent to me, but I will check all the connections and switches tomorrow.
derrickfulkerson

russellhltn wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:07 pm

I think you might be on to something. I hooked up directly to the modem to rule out an internet issue and it worked fine.

The firewall Port 1 is hooked to another silver Cisco box, guessing that is the Switch. The Switch has 2 SFP ports. Port 1 from the firewall is hooked to the first SFP port. The 2nd SFP port is hooked to something else but I couldn't tell because the cable runs through a wall, but we have a 2nd switch so I am guess its heading to that.

Port 1 on the firewall to the SFP port on the switch is not lighting up on either end. I switched it to the highest port on the switch and now everything is lighting up but it is still not "working" (no internet on wireless ).

Should those ports be lighting up? If they aren't do you think the Switch or SFP ports on the Switch are bad? Also, shouldn't the light on the front of the firewall be green?

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”