Problems with double verification

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
eliasjoachin

Problems with double verification

Post by eliasjoachin »

There is a memeber who tries to sign up with the account but they don't have the information for the second step in the verification process. They do not know what credentials they need to put in the app "Okta Verify"
What is the link they need to enter or the QR code?
maryloudiehl

Re: Problems with double verification

Post by maryloudiehl »

I need to opt out of two step verification, so that I can use the computer in the sealing office at the temple without having my phone, but it doesn't let me unclick it.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

This Forum post shows what worked for other members:
Account recovery & Two Step Verification issues
If that does not work for you, then this post
Reset two factor authentication suggests that calling Global Support worked for various members. Your local clerk can connect you with the support center if needed, and it seems quite easy for the support center to resolve.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

eliasjoachin wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:16 pm There is a memeber who tries to sign up with the account but they don't have the information for the second step in the verification process. They do not know what credentials they need to put in the app "Okta Verify"
What is the link they need to enter or the QR code?
When you set up the "Okta Verify App" authentication option at Account.ChurchofJesusChrist.org, it gives you a QR code that you can scan to connect Okta Verify to your account. It also provides an option to get the code via email or text. If you aren't able to get to the QR code (or emailed or texted code) from the Two-Step Verification section of Account.ChurchofJesusChrist.org, you could try removing and re-adding "Okta Verify App" as an authentication option.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
GrandmaLolli

Post by GrandmaLolli »

I got a new phone and now I can't log into my church account because I already had Okta Verify set up on my old phone. I unfortunately removed the app from my old phone, so now I have no way to transfer it to my new phone. How do I get a new QR code, remove Okta from my account, or what do I do to fix this problem? I can't log in on my phone or my laptop.
paulalclark

Post by paulalclark »

The church set me up with this Okta Verify... but the only number I had to use was my personal cell phone.. I am serving overseas and every time I use my personal number, Verizon charges me $10 for that day.. I can not afford to spend $3650 in cell phone charges so that I Can use the church website.. I have just spent the $10 today.. and in the Okta app, it will not allow me to change the verifying phone number.. I have a local South African phone now and want to change the number but can not see where do that..
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

As mentioned above, one option is to contact your clerk to get the local number to call for Global Support, they seem to be able to change the Okta settings for members in situations like yours.
HoffmanWL

Post by HoffmanWL »

I suggest you switch to a different authentication method like "Software Authenticator App or OTP Fob" which is found under Other options in Church Account (https://account.churchofjesuschrist.org ... rification). You with need to install and app like Google Authenticator. From the Authenticator app you will scan the QR code. When you authenticate you will be asked to enter the code from your Authenticator app. This method does not require a data plan for authentication.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I believe the $10 is for "international roaming". If you put the phone into Airplane Mode and then turn on WiFi, you should be getting it over WiFi instead of the local phone service. Verizon won't know where you are, just "off line" from the cell network.

Of course you'll have to have WiFi service from something like a mobile hotspot. That's what I did the last time I traveled internationally. You will have to activate any WiFi calling features on the phone.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Church Account”