Missionary Email - Wrong (cc: Parents) Address

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
d.jmccarthy.jr

Missionary Email - Wrong (cc: Parents) Address

Post by d.jmccarthy.jr »

I am not sure who to contact to have a wrong email address corrected for a parent email contact. Currently my wife is able to get emails that have the cc: Parents listed from the MTC etc. however my email address is incorrect and someone out in the email space with a similar email address is these receiving emails. It comes down to a misplaced dot and character (".jr" instead of ".j.r").

Any suggestions would be lovingly accepted.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Missionary Email - Wrong (cc: Parents) Address

Post by russellhltn »

Odd. I see you have a gmail address and Dots don't matter in Gmail addresses.

There may be another problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Email programs usually remember the email addresses used. If someone mistyped your email address the first time and didn't notice, their software may be auto-filling the incorrect email address. They will probably need to go in and delete your contact info from their email software and and then re-enter it with the correct email address. If they don't know how to do that, a simple internet search like "correct an email address in <software>" without the quotes should tell them how (Insert the software name such as gmail or outlook between the < >).
d.jmccarthy.jr

Post by d.jmccarthy.jr »

Thanks for the reply. In this case the dots DO matter as it is part of my email address. As an example if my profile name d.jmccarthy.jr were part of my email address, it would matter if one were to replace the dots around like this (d.j.mccarthy.jr@--------------).

Just by chance, someone has the difference in email address just by the dot being placed in the gmail address.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

For gmail the dots do not matter. My gmail email address has 2 dots in it and I just tested sending me an email with no dots and it worked. I also added in extra dots and still got it.. Also if ".jr" is wrong then you can fix that yourself. That is what you have entered in your email address for the church. If ".j.r" is the wrong one then I'm not sure where that one is stored.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

@d.jmccarthy.jr, as stated gmail does not allow accounts to exist which would be duplicates if all dots were removed. The above support link from Google states that "if your email is johnsmith@gmail.com, you own all dotted versions of your address" and then gives a few examples. So that's pretty definitive.

If somebody indeed is getting the emails instead of you, it must be that although the address appears identical besides the dots, there must be something else different in their email address.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It's been a little while since I've been a clerk, but I think at the stake level there's a website where stake leaders can track missionary applications and currently serving missionaries. Is there an email address there that a member of the stake presidency can edit?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “General Discussions”