Lehi Network randomly turning off with no change log entry

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
cwcahoon

Lehi Network randomly turning off with no change log entry

Post by cwcahoon »

Happy Sabbath, everyone. I was contacted early this morning by our Stake clerk (I’m the STS), asking why the Lehi network was not showing up at our Stake center. I went into Church Network Manager and sure enough, Lehi was turned off. I enabled it and it works fine, but there was no entry in the change log showing who disabled it. Has anyone had this happen to them before? It’s scary if a network can suddenly be disabled and there is no way to tell how it got disabled. The change log shows all other changes I or the other STS who shares the building have done.
Biggles

Re: Lehi Network randomly turning off with no change log entry

Post by Biggles »

Yes I had the same experience a week ago. Again no indication of how this happened :?:

Further thoughts on this have just come to mind. I had actually changed the password about two weeks prior this, so it wasn’t a question of the 90 day expiry schedule kicking in. Before adding the new password, the password box was empty apart from showing the original ghosted Nephi password.
caillines

Post by caillines »

cwcahoon wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:34 am Happy Sabbath, everyone. I was contacted early this morning by our Stake clerk (I’m the STS), asking why the Lehi network was not showing up at our Stake center. I went into Church Network Manager and sure enough, Lehi was turned off. I enabled it and it works fine, but there was no entry in the change log showing who disabled it. Has anyone had this happen to them before? It’s scary if a network can suddenly be disabled and there is no way to tell how it got disabled. The change log shows all other changes I or the other STS who shares the building have done.
Have FM been in doing anything with your networking devices recently? Our Lehi was disabled with nothing in the change log after some recent physical network device changes.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

caillines wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:35 pm
Have FM been in doing anything with your networking devices recently? Our Lehi was disabled with nothing in the change log after some recent physical network device changes.
The answer to your question is no! FM usually come to me first before doing anything to the physical network in the building.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Any chance something got rebooted? Perhaps due to a power failure?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:14 pm Any chance something got rebooted? Perhaps due to a power failure?
That’s a possibility as the electricians were carrying out work on the external lighting of the building recently. To prove the possibility, when time permits, I will power down the comms cabinet and see if that causes the issue.
briknelson

Post by briknelson »

We had exactly the same issue in Helena Montana this morning across two of our buildings. It looks like passwords in all of our buildings were reset to an older password as well. All fixed now, but none of us have any idea why the two buildings had been switched off....
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Biggles wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:11 pm FM usually come to me first before doing anything to the physical network in the building.
I wish our FM group would do that. [sigh]
caillines

Post by caillines »

briknelson wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:04 pm We had exactly the same issue in Helena Montana this morning across two of our buildings. It looks like passwords in all of our buildings were reset to an older password as well. All fixed now, but none of us have any idea why the two buildings had been switched off....
Keep an eye on it. Our Lehi did its 90 deactivation a lot quicker than 90 days. I think it must have had the only time frame stored in the system, so even though I manually reactivated it after the FM work, it used the original timing to do its next deactivation.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

caillines wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:42 pm Keep an eye on it. Our Lehi did its 90 deactivation a lot quicker than 90 days. I think it must have had the only time frame stored in the system, so even though I manually reactivated it after the FM work, it used the original timing to do its next deactivation.
I believe the passwords are only good for 90 calendar days. Turning off the SSID wouldn't stop the clock.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”