Gospel Library, Linux Application

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
lumbeezl

Gospel Library, Linux Application

Post by lumbeezl »

The Gospel Library app for Windows is amazing and I'd like a comparable version for Linux. The Windows Desktop version is built specifically for Windows, given the fact that it's using .NET for everything.

I don't have tons of time, but I'd love to start a project in developing for Linux/MacOS. There are a number of frameworks that could be used, although Qt or gtk-rs are at front of mind. I'm not sure where to begin with this but any input would be helpful.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Gospel Library, Linux Application

Post by sbradshaw »

I'd recommend creating a simple scripture viewing app as a starting place. This will 1) help you decide how much time you're willing to invest, 2) provide a prototype that can be used to attract interest of other potential contributors, and 3) provide a sample app that you can share details and screenshots for if you get to the point where you're ready to request permission from the Church to access more Gospel Library content that isn't public domain (Permissions.ChurchofJesusChrist.org).

Most (but not all) of the raw text of the scriptures is in public domain. Here are a couple of potential sources for scripture content, with the copyrighted sections removed (these GitHub repositories are not sponsored or endorsed by the Church):
https://github.com/bcbooks/scriptures-json
https://github.com/samuelbradshaw/python-scripture-scraper

To use the full Gospel Library catalog, it's likely that the Church legal office would require the project to be sponsored by the Church, because some content is licensed to the Church – not owned by the Church (for example, some of the artwork in Come, Follow Me, or some of the hymns). However, it's rare for the Church to sponsor new volunteer projects that aren't already well-established. At a minimum, you'd need a Church employee who would be willing to jump through hoops to oversee and advocate for it (whether as part of his regular job, or in his free time). You might have more success if you narrow the scope to a limited set of content that is either fully public domain or owned by the Church, like scriptures and general conference, and make that as good an experience as possible. Then, down the road, after the project has demonstrated itself as viable and valuable, you can seek further Church support.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I suspect the biggest issue you'll have is attracting developers who are willing to put in the time necessary. Typically, there's a bunch of people willing to be beta testers, but few if any coders.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
caillines

Post by caillines »

lumbeezl wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:42 pm The Gospel Library app for Windows is amazing and I'd like a comparable version for Linux. The Windows Desktop version is built specifically for Windows, given the fact that it's using .NET for everything.

I don't have tons of time, but I'd love to start a project in developing for Linux/MacOS. There are a number of frameworks that could be used, although Qt or gtk-rs are at front of mind. I'm not sure where to begin with this but any input would be helpful.
If it's all .NET, have you given it a shot running it in mono yet?
lumbeezl

Post by lumbeezl »

caillines wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:20 pm
lumbeezl wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:42 pm The Gospel Library app for Windows is amazing and I'd like a comparable version for Linux. The Windows Desktop version is built specifically for Windows, given the fact that it's using .NET for everything.

If it's all .NET, have you given it a shot running it in mono yet?
I haven't. Some dependencies would cause some issues so I haven't even attempted.
adavis13

Post by adavis13 »

lumbeezl Contact me I would be interested in working on this project for sure. I daily drive linux and it would be helpful for sure.
adavis13

Post by adavis13 »

Lumbeezl It appears I still cannot private message which means I cant reply in private messages, my email is [removed] If you could email me there I can respond, I think I found a way to request access.
Last edited by russellhltn on Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal information - this is a public forum
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

adavis13 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:03 pm Lumbeezl It appears I still cannot private message which means I cant reply in private messages, my email is [removed] If you could email me there I can respond, I think I found a way to request access.
You should be able to PM now.

I removed your email because all posts in this forum are visible publicly without a login. You probably don't want the spam a public posting would bring.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
adavis13

Post by adavis13 »

Thanks Russel I appreciate it. However I cannot PM still. Do you think it may just take some time to unlock or that it isnt unlocked fully?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

adavis13 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:23 pm Thanks Russel I appreciate it. However I cannot PM still.
Strange, I thought you met the threshold for that.

I manually removed your "suspicious new user" status.

Return to “Gospel Library”