How to connect pulpit to laptop for zoom

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
cortbeyler

How to connect pulpit to laptop for zoom

Post by cortbeyler »

IMG_20221211_084541636.jpg
I am wondering what cord I would need to hook up the microphone from the pulpit to my laptop to use it for zoom broadcasts. I have attached a picture of what it looks like under the pulpit.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How to connect pulpit to laptop for zoom

Post by russellhltn »

cortbeyler wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:19 am I am wondering what cord I would need to hook up the microphone from the pulpit to my laptop to use it for zoom broadcasts. I have attached a picture of what it looks like under the pulpit.
It depends on what kind of input your laptop has. You need to go from RCA line out to whatever input your laptop has. Most likely it will be a mic in, meaning you may need to use an attenuator. You may find it simpler to get an external device that has line in.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Look under the sacrament table, there is often a tape recorder that has a 3.5mm input from the chapel sound system that you can pull into a laptop
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:08 pm Look under the sacrament table, there is often a tape recorder that has a 3.5mm input from the chapel sound system that you can pull into a laptop
Odds are, those jacks replaced the old connection, which was also line level.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I'm not sure what odds you're thinking. I've worked with 15 meeting houses in two stakes, they all had them. At some point they probably stopped putting it there, but to me the odds are in favor of it being there.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:56 pm I'm not sure what odds you're thinking. I've worked with 15 meeting houses in two stakes, they all had them. At some point they probably stopped putting it there, but to me the odds are in favor of it being there.
I've got a bunch of older chapels that have the 3.5mm jack, but I've got one new chapel that's as pictured (RCA Stereo jacks) and no 3.5mm. The 3.5mm line out was always a bit of an oddity, but it worked with a standard issue cassette tape recorder.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

cortbeyler wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:19 am IMG_20221211_084541636.jpg

I am wondering what cord I would need to hook up the microphone from the pulpit to my laptop to use it for zoom broadcasts. I have attached a picture of what it looks like under the pulpit.
Something like this will probably work for you. You'll need to supply an RCA male-male cable, but they're east to get.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079CBGDST
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

cortbeyler wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:19 am IMG_20221211_084541636.jpg

Depends which laptop you have.

Nearly all modern Dell laptops will take a mic or a line level in.
Pop up box will allow you to select this when it detects a connection on the socket.

If your laptop permits then all you need is a standard RCA to 3.5mm TRS cable.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”