What are my ministering assignments?

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
n_tech

What are my ministering assignments?

Post by n_tech »

Hi I'd really like to know my ministering assignments.

My Elders Quorum is very disorganized, give different answers each time I ask them, probably because they are relying on the broken ministering assignments sections of the website!

I followed the instructions here (https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/hel ... s?lang=eng), logged into directory. Simply doesn't display any ministering assignments at all today. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. No idea why.

So I tried switching to the member tools app on my tablet. I faithfully refreshed the data and the app confirmed the refresh was successful. Checked my ministering assignments, what did i see? My assignments from over a year ago in my prior ward which was dissolved. Noted that the app says I'm in the correct ward today, it only has the old assignments for some strange reason.

I already used the feedback feature to send a message to the church about this.

This is a total tech failure of the church. I dream of quitting my job and volunteering to fix the church websites.

Is there any other way to get my ministering assignments? Until the app and website work, I'm stuck with trying to contact my Elders Quorum leaders. I'm thinking of just making up my own ministering assignments at this point.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: What are my ministering assignments?

Post by russellhltn »

n_tech wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:32 am So I tried switching to the member tools app on my tablet. I faithfully refreshed the data and the app confirmed the refresh was successful. Checked my ministering assignments, what did i see? My assignments from over a year ago in my prior ward which was dissolved. Noted that the app says I'm in the correct ward today, it only has the old assignments for some strange reason.
I'd suggest logging out of the app and logging back in. "Update" doesn't seem to be able to cope with certain changes. Logout/login starts over.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nmecantwin73

Post by nmecantwin73 »

If logout/login doesn't do it, also try uninstalling then reinstalling the Tools app. A new EQ counselor in my ward had to completely uninstall/reinstall the Tools app for ministering info to show correctly for him. It happens.

As long as the presidency is updating ministering assignments correctly in LCR, then the info will show both in Tools and in the Directory on the website.
n_tech

Post by n_tech »

Ok I had to dig around inside the member tools app on my android tablet to figure out how to sign out.

3 bars icon > Settings > Sign Out

Then I signed back in. And my ministering assignments from my new ward that I was moved into 9 months ago are now there.

The display is horrendous:
- I'm required to log into the directory to see my ministering assignments- why?
- Can't see any way to search the whole app for my ministering assignments, so it's a good thing I knew before using the app to look in the directory
- lists my ministering assignments twice
- Tries to do a graphical display with pictures, but less than half the people have pictures so it just shows empty human icons
- mixes my assignments with my wife's even though I accessed them through the directory
- lists my wife's ministering assignments twice

I have given up on using the website to check my ministering assignments. Didn't bother to try.

Pardon my complaining spirit, but this is HORRIBLE tech experience for a well funded international organization like our church. I will pray that whoever is managing these things for the church gets some inspiration how to improve.
i will also pray that they hire some experienced app developers and project managers. I shudder to think of what new converts think about the church website and app as they experience them for the first time. Especially people in other countries.

Even though my assignments are hard to read in the app, at least I don't have to make up my own assignments or try to get answers from me Elders Quorum presidency.

Thanks russelhtn and nmecantwin73 for your suggestions which worked. From now, on I'll remember to sign out and back in every time I need current info from member tools, instead of relying on the 3 bars > Update feature.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Have you tried this?
3 bars icon > Settings > Refresh Data

That would be easier than Sign Out or uninstall/reinstall.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:54 pm Have you tried this?
3 bars icon > Settings > Refresh Data
He said he did in the first post. But this isn't the first time that log in/log out fixes something that refresh doesn't.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Another thing to keep in mind, is that ideally Ministering Interviews are being regularly held with each EQ member and a member of the EQ Presidency. I understand you mentioned that your EQ is disorganized, but they still have that responsibility and you can request having a ministering interview if they are not proactive. Ministering interviews are wonderful opportunities to review ministering assignments, and you can also request that they provide a printout of your assignment during your interview if you're looking for something concrete. :D

It's easy for all of us to get caught up in the details of Church Tech, but many times the tech limitations can be worked around via more old-fashioned methods. Doesn't make those issues disappear, and can make it more difficult than it should be. But at least it doesn't keep us from moving forward when the tech isn't working, or isn't being used correctly.
n_tech

Post by n_tech »

BrianEdwards wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:16 pm .... you can request having a ministering interview if they are not proactive. Ministering interviews are wonderful opportunities ....
Great ideas, Brian
n_tech

Post by n_tech »

Update- I used the feedback feature on the church website to report the disappearing ministering tab. Someone from the church website had a few emails back and forth, and has referred that issue to the developers. Hopefully the fix it.

Return to “Main Church Website”