What is official policy for leaders submitting expense reimbursement requests of immediate family members?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
tatemike

What is official policy for leaders submitting expense reimbursement requests of immediate family members?

Post by tatemike »

Hi, do the stake audit questions or some other reference address this?:

I'm aware that leaders are not supposed to submit expense requests for reimbursement to themselves in LCR. In other words, if they spend the money and they want to request money back, some other leader should typically submit that reimbursement request in LCR. I'm just paraphrasing here, but hopefully this is enough to establish a reference to that general rule.

So here's the question: Does anyone know if that rule extends to others that are close to that leader (for example, the immediate family of that leader). Illustration: My wife spends money for her primary music calling. Can I as ward clerk submit an expense reimbursement request so that she can be reimbursed? Or does a different leader need to do that because she is too close in relationship to me?

My guess is the answer is yes, someone else needs to submit it... and that answer makes me most comfortable obviously, even if it's for no other reason than avoiding any appearance of fraud, or to follow the spirit of the rule. So, I'm just curious if there is an official rule as well to help unify everyone around that, e.g. so that we can teach our local unit about that rule.

Note: I saw a reference to this topic here: https://tech.churchofjesuschrist.org/fo ... hp?t=34183. I'm just wondering if there is anything official on it.
eblood66

Re: What is official policy for leaders submitting expense reimbursement requests of immediate family members?

Post by eblood66 »

The instructions for question number 10 in the Ward audit (or question 12 for the stake audit) indicate that the question should be marked "No" (and thus generate an audit exception) if a leader approves an expense for himself or a member of his family (either as payee or fast offering recipient).
tatemike

Re: What is official policy for leaders submitting expense reimbursement requests of immediate family members?

Post by tatemike »

Thanks OK.

Your answer helped me to look for and find this as well:

https://tech.churchofjesuschrist.org/fo ... hp?t=32509

(Summary of link: By request, the stake clerk can provide ward financial audit questions to ward finance leaders such as assistant finance clerk, so that we can reference them. Good to know.)

Thanks for your time on this!

Return to “Local Unit Finance”