Primary child shows up on two attendance rolls

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
shaniapril

Primary child shows up on two attendance rolls

Post by shaniapril »

I have a child in primary who shows up on two different attendance rolls. There are two things that may be contributing to this. First of all, she is an out of unit member AND she is in an out of default class--meaning she has been moved to a class different from her age group.

She shows up correctly on the class list that she has been moved to, and does not show up on the default age group class list. However, when printing the attendance rolls she shows up on the rolls for both classes. Is there a fix for this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Primary child shows up on two attendance rolls

Post by russellhltn »

shaniapril wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:37 pm She shows up correctly on the class list that she has been moved to, and does not show up on the default age group class list. However, when printing the attendance rolls she shows up on the rolls for both classes. Is there a fix for this?
Given that it's different between the display and the print, it sounds like a bug. Unless someone has a better idea, I'd report it via feedback.

However, I am curious about the assignment. Looking at the Handbook (12.1.3), I see no provision for assigning a child outside of their age group. The only exception I see is for advancing from Primary. I always thought the manual assignment was to correct an error by the automated system, or when classes are split or combined in a way that confuses the automation. I do remember there was an issue with children born on January 1st being grouped with children born in a different year instead of being grouped with those born in the same year. That may have been fixed. But that also might have caused a new year's child to skip or repeat a class.

Edit: although this does make me wonder what the church does about cultures where one's "age" is the year they're working on, not the number of years completed. To them, everyone is born "age 1".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Primary child shows up on two attendance rolls

Post by sbradshaw »

russellhltn wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:57 pm However, I am curious about the assignment. Looking at the Handbook (12.1.3), I see no provision for assigning a child outside of their age group. The only exception I see is for advancing from Primary.
I don't know if this is the case for the original poster, but I've seen this happen for children with cognitive disabilities, who may feel more comfortable and be better included in a younger class (after counseling with parents and the bishop).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”