Excess Budget funds stake sweep

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
airguy

Re: Excess Budget funds stake sweep

Post by airguy »

russellhltn wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:31 pm Handbook 20.6.2 says fund-raising is allowed for "One annual extended Aaronic Priesthood camp or similar activity" and "One annual extended Young Women camp or similar activity."
The handbook says that the bishop can authorize ONE fundraising event annually. One to cover any additional expenses. You can't have one for Young Women and another for the Aaronic Priesthood.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

airguy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:19 pm The handbook says that the bishop can authorize ONE fundraising event annually. One to cover any additional expenses. You can't have one for Young Women and another for the Aaronic Priesthood.
To clarify, General Handbook, 20.6.2, states "If funds from ward and stake budgets and from participants are not sufficient for camps, the bishop may authorize one ward fundraising event annually. This event must comply with the guidelines in 20.6.5." (emphasis added) The appropriate part of 20.6.5 states "[The] bishop may authorize one fundraising event each year for the following purposes only: To help pay for the activities listed in 20.6.2. To help buy equipment that the unit needs for annual camps as outlined in 20.6.4." So the max number of fund raising events per year is one total for the camps and/or equipment for the camps.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
sdespain

Post by sdespain »

So woke up this morning to further sweeps, dated Jan25 on our ledgers. In our stake, they have now transferred out the ending balance amount for 2022 from each of our units. On top of that, and I think this is a mistake, they also did the same to our Stake account. Again for the stake, that is the 2nd sweep (one last week that was the 50%) and now this new one that was the ending balance. We are now negative in the stake budget but as whole also negative.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

sdespain wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:50 am So woke up this morning to further sweeps, dated Jan25 on our ledgers. In our stake, they have now transferred out the ending balance amount for 2022 from each of our units. On top of that, and I think this is a mistake, they also did the same to our Stake account. Again for the stake, that is the 2nd sweep (one last week that was the 50%) and now this new one that was the ending balance. We are now negative in the stake budget but as whole also negative.
This has to be a mistake. We transferred our excess prior to any sweep so we were below the 50%. Now they have transferred out the ending balance for the stake and all the units. Since I wasn't able to do our transfer before the end of the year, our stake is now very negative. I assume they will figure this out fairly quickly. Did you submit a support case about it? I don't want to inundate support but I also want to make sure they realize what happened.
sdespain

Post by sdespain »

eblood66 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:18 am
sdespain wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:50 am So woke up this morning to further sweeps, dated Jan25 on our ledgers. In our stake, they have now transferred out the ending balance amount for 2022 from each of our units. On top of that, and I think this is a mistake, they also did the same to our Stake account. Again for the stake, that is the 2nd sweep (one last week that was the 50%) and now this new one that was the ending balance. We are now negative in the stake budget but as whole also negative.
This has to be a mistake. We transferred our excess prior to any sweep so we were below the 50%. Now they have transferred out the ending balance for the stake and all the units. Since I wasn't able to do our transfer before the end of the year, our stake is now very negative. I assume they will figure this out fairly quickly. Did you submit a support case about it? I don't want to inundate support but I also want to make sure they realize what happened.
Yes.. I opened a ticket this morning. Global Services help desk was not aware of this new transfer, but he did confirm that it happened and was going to send the ticket to finance to see what is going on..
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jdlessley wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:21 am
airguy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:19 pm The handbook says that the bishop can authorize ONE fundraising event annually. One to cover any additional expenses. You can't have one for Young Women and another for the Aaronic Priesthood.
To clarify, General Handbook, 20.6.2, states "If funds from ward and stake budgets and from participants are not sufficient for camps, the bishop may authorize one ward fundraising event annually. This event must comply with the guidelines in 20.6.5." (emphasis added) The appropriate part of 20.6.5 states "[The] bishop may authorize one fundraising event each year for the following purposes only: To help pay for the activities listed in 20.6.2. To help buy equipment that the unit needs for annual camps as outlined in 20.6.4." So the max number of fund raising events per year is one total for the camps and/or equipment for the camps.
As an added note, a new audit question has been added (starting with the 2022 end-of-year audit) which basically asks whether you held a fundraiser, was there only one, was it authorized by the unit leader and was it only for camp purposes.
rknelson

Post by rknelson »

Our stake saw the same thing this morning - ALL funds as of year end transferred out. What is going on?
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

As a result of the chatter here this morning I went and looked at our stake and found a similar "more than we expected" taken out. I thought to check our wards and found that every ward had 100% of their 2022 carryover taken in a budget sweep. If they had $1234.56 left at the end of the year, they had $1234.56 taken. No 50% of previous year budget appears to apply in this case.

Did I miss an announcement of budget being taken directly from the wards? The only thing I remember was encouraging wards to send surplus to the stake, but nothing about directly taking from wards.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

In our stake all 2022 budget year end amounts have been swept from the stake budget and all ward and branch budgets.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
snihipali99

Post by snihipali99 »

Our stake as well all funds from 2022 from stake, ward and branch with "Annual transfer of surplus budget funds".

Return to “Local Unit Finance”