Footnote Bug when searching scriptures

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
brettsamann

Footnote Bug when searching scriptures

Post by brettsamann »

I have confirmed this problem on multiple devices. It's possible when searching on the library app that going to results causes some of the footnote links to display code pieces instead of just the letter. This ONLY haooens when viewing something through the search function and is NOT widespread, which is likely how it was missed in QA.

For example, in scriptures search "looketh on the heart" and select the result for "1 Luke 16". Verse 7 displays as the following. Im adding ^^ around the superscript notes. Note that out of context it's definitely not something that looks appropriate:

But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord ^a^seeth not as ^butt="marker">b^man seeth; for man looketh on the outward ^c^appearance, but the ^butt="MARKER"D^Lord looketh on the heart.

Both the b and d links show the problem. Interestingly b is lowercase and D is upper. Clicking the links works as expected so functionally it is fine and this is an aesthetic issue. Viewing the same verse outside of the search does NOT show the problem.
Screenshot of the problem.
Screenshot of the problem.
BrianEdwards

Re: Footnote Bug when searching scriptures

Post by BrianEdwards »

@brettsamann, just wanted to make sure you understood that this Forum is essentially a user-to-user self-help resource, and not a place to submit bug reports.

That said, it definitely is really helpful when forum members share issues they find (like what you have done), so that others are aware that "it's not just me!" if they see the same issues themselves. Hopefully you have also used the Feedback mechanism to submit this to the Church IT team.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

If you do provide official feedback for this bug, you can include this topic ID so the developers can come here to see what was posted (as I understand).
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

davesudweeks wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:30 am If you do provide official feedback for this bug, you can include this topic ID so the developers can come here to see what was posted (as I understand).
Yes, and there is evidence they have done that when a link to a forum topic is included in the feedback. Otherwise though, the developers are rarely here, making the Feedback path the best way to let them know of bugs and other enhancement requests.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

lajackson wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:42 am
davesudweeks wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:30 am If you do provide official feedback for this bug, you can include this topic ID so the developers can come here to see what was posted (as I understand).
Yes, and there is evidence they have done that when a link to a forum topic is included in the feedback. Otherwise though, the developers are rarely here, making the Feedback path the best way to let them know of bugs and other enhancement requests.
Correct, and that was what I "thought" I was saying. We cannot assume developers will stumble on any forum topic - if we provide official feedback and more information is in this forum, we can put the topic ID in our feedback to assist them and avoid having to recreated the same information all over again in the feedback.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I have seen this issue occasionally – generally it means that the content on your device and the content in the search index aren't on the same content version, but this can happen for a few reasons and it's not easy to debug.

The example you posted seems to work correctly for me (see screenshots). Are you using offline search, or full search (is your device connected to the internet when searching)?
Attachments
Screenshot_20230118_123808_Gospel Library.jpg
Screenshot_20230118_123829_Gospel Library.jpg
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”