Fixing a tithing issue from last year, urgent help needed!

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jeffduce

Fixing a tithing issue from last year, urgent help needed!

Post by jeffduce »

I'm a pretty new finance clerk. We had an audit this week where it was found that last year a tithing donation was made with a single check written for 2 donations from children (1 check, 2 slips). But the total check amount was applied to a single donor. I need to have this corrected, but it appears that the only thing that I can do is adjust where the donation is applied (ie tithing vs fast offerings) and the final slip amount cannot change. I was hoping to add a new slip for the correct amount and reduce the other slip by the correct amount, but it looks like it will not let me do this. What is the proper way to fix this?

Now here's the kicker... I'm being asked by the Stake Pres to get this done today if possible. Tomorrow we are re-aligning ward boundaries (which I suspect means that this family will be in a different ward than me), so there is some urgency in correcting this now in hopes of reducing challenges after everything has been moved around. So if you have and advice, let me know today. Big thanks for any help!
drepouille

Re: Fixing a tithing issue from last year, urgent help needed!

Post by drepouille »

I could be wrong, but I doubt there is any way to enter a single check for two separate donors. So I doubt the clerk who created the original donation batch could have entered it as two donations.

And the GSD isn't going to help you on a weekend.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
jeffduce

Post by jeffduce »

I kinda thought so. Thanks for the reply! We will just have to figure it out after the wards are all mixed up.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

I think when the original donations were logged they could have been put in as such (example names and amounts):
Smith, Joseph 5.00 check 1234 (part of check) 5.00
Smith, Lucy 5.00 check 1234 (part of check) 5.00
But at this point not sure how you are going to be able to fix that without GSD help, although you could try adding the second donor and adjust the other donor as above and see what happens. Hopefully it won't make things worse.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Since this is a closed batch, it's not going to allow you to do anything that would alter the total. So unless you get GSD involved, I'd think you'd have to find a way of splitting the donation as a first step.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jeffduce wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:10 am I was hoping to add a new slip for the correct amount and reduce the other slip by the correct amount, but it looks like it will not let me do this. What is the proper way to fix this?
I would call the Global Services Department on Monday morning. They should be willing to fix it, especially since it involves children. They may also be able to make the adjustments before the boundary realignment takes effect. But even if it does, the donation took place in your ward, and so they should still fix it for you and your ward records. Although there will be a realignment, that should not affect your ward records for a deposit that took place before the change.

Tomorrow (before you call), it would help to make sure that both affected donors are already included in your financial records as donors. That will make it easier for the GSD to make the change.
jeffduce

Post by jeffduce »

Thanks for all the help everyone!! So the wards were divided today and the family in question will be in a different ward than I will be as soon as the clerks are done moving families around this afternoon. So I think the urgency is now gone, and I'll have to with with the finance clerk of their new ward to get it figured out. I'll be on the phone with SLC tomorrow for all sorts of other issues related to ward being split. So I'll bring it up with them and see if there is anything that can be done. Thanks for all the help!!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The donation batch remains with the ward it was donated in. It's the batch that needs to be fixed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”