Creating record for child BIC but blessed after parent removes record

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
kadenwillie

Creating record for child BIC but blessed after parent removes record

Post by kadenwillie »

A baby was recently blessed in my ward who was born in the covenant. However, after the birth but prior to the baby blessing, the mother asked to have her record removed from the Church so she is no longer listed in the household as a member. The temple sealing is still listed on the father's membership record. In order to create the child's record after the blessing, I tried to choose yes that baby was BIC, but since the mother was no longer showing up as a member I kept getting an error message and it would not let me create the child's record without selecting that she wasn't BIC. I went and ahead and selected no to BIC so that I could create the record. How do I go about fixing this? My understanding is she is still BIC since the mother was still a member at the time of her birth.

Another questions is what about future children that are born to them. Will they still be considered BIC if the father remains faithful to his temple sealing? Or will any future children be considered born outside of the covenant?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Creating record for child BIC but blessed after parent removes record

Post by russellhltn »

kadenwillie wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:14 pm A baby was recently blessed in my ward who was born in the covenant. However, after the birth but prior to the baby blessing, the mother asked to have her record removed from the Church so she is no longer listed in the household as a member. The temple sealing is still listed on the father's membership record. In order to create the child's record after the blessing, I tried to choose yes that baby was BIC, but since the mother was no longer showing up as a member I kept getting an error message and it would not let me create the child's record without selecting that she wasn't BIC. I went and ahead and selected no to BIC so that I could create the record. How do I go about fixing this? My understanding is she is still BIC since the mother was still a member at the time of her birth.
You'll need to contact support. You can either call them or use the "contact us" link in LCR.

kadenwillie wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:14 pm Another questions is what about future children that are born to them. Will they still be considered BIC if the father remains faithful to his temple sealing? Or will any future children be considered born outside of the covenant?
My read on General Handbook 38.4.2.1 is that the mother has to be sealed in order for the children to be BIC. So, future children will not be BIC.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”