Flagging a Member's Record

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Hilohi

Flagging a Member's Record

Post by Hilohi »

Is there a way to flag a member's record on the ward level for welfare abuse/fraud? If no, what's the best way to notify future bishops of a member's fraudulent activity?
garystroble

Re: Flagging a Member's Record

Post by garystroble »

Hilohi wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:23 pm Is there a way to flag a member's record on the ward level for welfare abuse/fraud? If no, what's the best way to notify future bishops of a member's fraudulent activity?
I would start your inquiry with both your stake president and the GSD.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

General Handbook 33.6.15, Move Restrictions on Membership Records, explains how the bishop or clerk can place a move restriction on a membership record using LCR.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

See General Handbook 32.14.5 about reasons for annotations.

What's odd is that while 32.14.5 does mention "Church welfare abuse", I can't find that phrase anywhere else in section 32: Repentance and Church Membership Councils.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I think GHB 32.14.7 is the best reference for a situation with a "serious concern" such as welfare abuse/fraud and wanting to ensure future Bishops are aware of that.

It's interesting that both 32.14.7 and 33.6.15 have the same section title and cover some of the same information, but 32.14.7 adds the wording about how this allows for the opportunity of the current Bishop to share concerns with the future Bishop. I'm sure there's a gazillion places in the handbook where additional cross-references could be added (I find the existing ones very helpful), and this would be a good place for cross-links.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BrianEdwards wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:01 am I think GHB 32.14.7 is the best reference for a situation with a "serious concern" such as welfare abuse/fraud and wanting to ensure future Bishops are aware of that.
Assuming "future bishops" are in another ward. Not so good for future bishops in the same ward.

I also have to wonder if there's a time limit for a move restriction. The wording suggests it's a temporary action to allow a formal process to proceed to conclusion. I don't know as it would still be effective in 5 years. Or if the new bishop in the old ward would be able to remember when asked about it.

I think the best plan of action would be a move restriction followed by working to have the record annotated.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Hilohi

Post by Hilohi »

I was looking for a way to just put an annotation on this record. In this case, putting a move restriction on his record isn't the best option because he's no longer in our ward and he moves frequently. Perhaps what I'll do is transfer his record from our ward and just choose the option to contact the previous bishop.
PPPratt

Post by PPPratt »

lajackson wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:10 pm General Handbook 33.6.15, Move Restrictions on Membership Records, explains how the bishop or clerk can place a move restriction on a membership record using LCR.
I have a question about how to get the annotation off the record. I am the bishop and am told by my stake clerk/presidency, that the member needs to write a letter to the (a) general authority.
How do I go about this? Is there a number I can call for my area or assistance for the process.
Thank you
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I would suggest you do the following:
1) In LCR, select "Membership => Confidential Member Information Report"
2) The member in question should appear in the list, with "Annotation" listed under the "Action" column
3) If you click on "Annotation", a pop-up message will appear, quite likely with privacy instructions
4) The pop-up message should detail the nature of the annotation, and should also list who and how a request to remove the annotation should happen for this particular case

I would expect that the Stake President should also be able to see annotations for all members in the Stake, and so anything that you see in the member's annotation information, you can talk directly with the Stake President and he should be able to corroborate if there's any questions.

Return to “Membership Help”