Moving 18 yr olds to Adult SS class, at DOB, End of Calendar year or HI Sch Grad?

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
mikedunk

Moving 18 yr olds to Adult SS class, at DOB, End of Calendar year or HI Sch Grad?

Post by mikedunk »

Policy question..
Do we move 18 year olds to Adult Sunday School class on their Birthday, at end of Calendar year or on Graduation from Hi School?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Moving 18 yr olds to Adult SS class, at DOB, End of Calendar year or HI Sch Grad?

Post by russellhltn »

I'd suggest consulting General Handbook 8.4, 10.6, and 11.4.

There is no simple answer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garystroble

Re: Moving 18 yr olds to Adult SS class, at DOB, End of Calendar year or HI Sch Grad?

Post by garystroble »

The software may have a simple answer but it can be overridden too.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Since the software has no way of knowing HS graduation, it's probably defaults based on age.

If it was at the beginning of the year, I'd think OP would notice.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

russellhltn wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:39 pm Since the software has no way of knowing HS graduation, it's probably defaults based on age.

If it was at the beginning of the year, I'd think OP would notice.
The software will keep them in the youth Sunday School class based on their age at the beginning of the year. So the software answer is they won't be put in the adult class until January 1 of the year following their 18th birthday.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I appreciate the counsel in GHB 11.4: Each young woman counsels with her parents and the bishop to decide what will best help her continue to strengthen her faith in Jesus Christ.. This aligns with the emphasis given on having our youth be in charge of their own salvation, and reminds me that instead of it being the leaders (or even parents) who are always deciding these things, it is best to have the youth at the center of the decision-making process.

And to the O.P. question, I believe that Adult SS class attendance would usually be linked to RS/EQ attendance, but as the youth counsels with parents and the bishop, there may be situations where a mixed attendance pattern for a time, might be best for unique cases.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”