Can you undo “close other screens”?

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
sasgrw

Can you undo “close other screens”?

Post by sasgrw »

I was trying to rearrange a newly opened screen to put it near other scriptures and talks related to it. I’ve done this often. However, when trying to move it I accidentally hit “close other screens”.

I am crushed by this. I’ve spent years building up talks and scriptures in my screen list. I have no way to remember all the talks I had open.

It was too easy to accidentally hit “close other screens” that I hope there’s an undo option.
Attachments
D838F410-C9E1-448B-AA03-326C1A346606.jpeg
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Can you undo “close other screens”?

Post by sbradshaw »

There isn't a way to undo closing screens, unfortunately. Screens are like tabs in a browser, and while the app should remember them between restarts, they are intended to be temporary. Screens are not backed up to your Church Account or synced to other devices. In the future, I'd recommend using bookmarks instead of screens for keeping track of things on a long-term basis. Bookmarks are synced with your Church Account.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

Not to nit-pick but browsers do let you undo when you close a tab or close all tabs. The default behavior when opening a talk or a scripture is to open a new screen. If bookmarks are saved, then perhaps opening talks should open a bookmark instead of a screen. Nowhere in the app does it say that screens are temporary.
james.gurr@missionary.org

Post by james.gurr@missionary.org »

There is also a section that contains your history [don't know if it is locally saved]. So that would be a way to refind all those talks, scripture, videos, ect. To access do the following:
Kebab Menu
Kebab Menu
History
History
All History
All History
If that doesn't work for you or if you wanted something else, send feedback by doing the following:
Kebab Menu
Kebab Menu
Help
Help
Send Feedback
Send Feedback
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

Thanks, James. I forgot to mention that I was already looking through the history to try to recover talks. I have a ton of things in the history so wading through the ones I actually saved vs ones I just read is a challenge, but it's a possible way to recover some things.

I was waiting to send feedback for a few days to see if anyone posted a magical option to recover my closed screens.

While it won't help me now, destructive menu options such as "close all" or "close others" should always have a confirmation dialog. "Are you sure you want to close 65 screens?"
james.gurr@missionary.org

Post by james.gurr@missionary.org »

That is a lot of tabs. How do you find everything? The best suggestion, imo, would be to send feeback and wait for the issue to be resolved.
I teach them correct principles and they govern themselves. - Joseph Smith
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

Yes, it is a lot of screens, which is why I'm really disappointed it was so easy to close them all without confirming the closing or a way to undo it. When you view all the screens, depending on your font size, you can see about 3 words in the title of the talk or scripture reference so that's how I find things.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”