Translations

MayaML

Translations

Post by MayaML »

This looked like a good place to post my enquiry. I am TRYING to translate some You Tube videoes on my freetime which sometimes it 24 hours a day and sometimes 12...
My problem is that I have used Any Video Converter to convert videoes so I can load them on Windows Movie Maker to text them, but looks like it dont work any more ... not for Mormon messages anyway... Is there some better way to do this?
I also wonder if I should use voice in them instead of text... can I just record the voice on top, without delating the voice from the messages... then again I would often love to keep the original music or backsounds but just have the Finnish in stead of English.... Now I am NOT even close to prof on computers, so I am probably more trouble than help...
Any netsides where I could learn how to....
My YouTube nickname is LDSML I have translated a couple of videoes... but they too are tranalsted by me... NOT the official tranalastions... btw I am NOT a translator either... just a teacher... mostly unoccupied...
I would also like to use the official taranslations = video+voice ... to ame more good short Tubes in Finnish, but I suppose I cant load them from org anyway... any help??
Darasu-p40

Finnish Closed Captions

Post by Darasu-p40 »

Maya,

Do you think captions would be acceptable/useful for Finnish Saints? If so, that can be done very quickly with your assistance.
MayaML

Post by MayaML »

I been doing some of those (if that means text) ... it is ok... I can do it... sometimes I need the english text to be sure what to write though (Heather gave me the text on the famous LDS) ... my english is not perfect:D, but so is not my Finnish either... but I do as well as I can.
Would love though to be able to take the Finnish translations voice from LDS org and make my own videoes too... but they DO miss a lot of feeling ... so many things I would just use text on.
Maybe it is best just to continue with texts...
I just uploaded on i tunes soem music fron LDS.org on my computer... ahve not tried to see if I can use that on Windows Movie Maker yet.
I could load the MMs on Media Player Classic on my computer ok... but my WMMaker did nto find them :eek:.
I have no sparetime problems doing this... I just love doing this!
Heather gave me a netside once wher I can go find music to upload that I can use in the videoes, but I cant remember what it was. (pop classical LDS)

Not quite sure of what is closed captions... :o
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by JonesRC »

Maya,

Great questions. There are different ways to prepare language content for distribution. We have many professionals working here that help us accomplish this. I will forward your questions on to the appropriate people and try to get you an answer. Thank you for taking the time to ask.

Bob
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

I always desire Church videos translated to Portuguese too, in special the new "Mormon Messages" videos and the old Homefronts, but I never have a way to do it. Why can't the Church made subtitled versions to other languages than English and Spanish?
Kent Larsen-p40

Why can't Church make materials available in Portuguese?

Post by Kent Larsen-p40 »

I think the answer is really very simple: resources. The Church simply doesn't have enough resources to do everything for every language. Like anyone faced with this situation, they have to prioritize.

How they set those priorities, I don't know (I wish there was a statement somewhere that explained roughly what they do).

I do think there is a place here for having the Church members help, as I've mentioned here before.
Owner, LDSClerks
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Ok, but we need to understand some Church members can know translate from English and can do the translation as a help, like you mentioned, with the Church employees only need to add these work to the final product. I can't understand why the Church can have work to put three or four language subtitles in a DVD, and can't put five or six, for example, if a member translated the content. It's a desire to see a day.
loseghe-p40

Production and Revelation

Post by loseghe-p40 »

Remember that the Church does not just produce DVD's with two,three languages and some five,six etc. All we receive is directed to the revelation that has be received and the message is for those people that their language is found in the production
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

loseghe wrote:Remember that the Church does not just produce DVD's with two,three languages and some five,six etc. All we receive is directed to the revelation that has be received and the message is for those people that their language is found in the production
This is an half of truth! The other is D&C 15:27: "Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;"
This is why we try to translate as many languages we can!
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
meckerdt-p40

LDS Community Translation Pilot

Post by meckerdt-p40 »

This is an exciting discussion! It's a great example of how the Spirit moves upon the Saints around the world when something needs to be done.
I'm a manager in the LDS Church's Translation Division. My current assignment is to test the feasibility of community-sourced (i.e. crowd-sourced) translation. We're conducting a pilot program in three languages: Papiamento, Portuguese, and Spanish. The content we're translating is Family History knowledge-base ("help") articles. In late summer/early fall, we hope to expand the number of languages and types of content.
If you're interested, we've set up a group on LinkedIn (www.linkedin.com) called LDS Volunteer Translators Association. You'll find information about the pilot and our effort, in general. In addition, we'll be using this group to help us find more translators when we start adding languages. You're welcome to join it, if you'd like. It's free and we would certainly welcome your input! :cool:

Return to “Getting Started”