Gain control on line out audio jack

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
ciroque

Gain control on line out audio jack

Post by ciroque »

Hi all,

I have been using the audio out (line level) from our podium to feed audio to our sacrament broadcast. There are times when the level is really low, and other times when it's really hot.

I have been unable to figure out what is changing to cause this, is there possibly a control somewhere in our systems rack to adjust this?

Thanks!

Steve Wagner
Tech Spclst
Poulsbo First Ward
Poulsbo, WA
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: Gain control on line out audio jack

Post by rmrichesjr »

Is it a 1/8" (aka 3.5mm) phone plug? If so, they are notorious for unreliable electrical connection. Does wiggling or rotating the plug change the level?

Are you using the exact same cables, connectors, and etc. every time? If not, could there be a difference in whatever item is not constant?

Have you tried a different cable? A cable with an intermittent defect could cause varying levels.

If you have access to a speaker-level connection, there are devices that will attenuate from speaker-level down to line or mic level.

It's not very likely, but there could be a bug in the DSP or its configuration that might cause levels to vary from week to week.

At least in the buildings I have worked with, in theory there is no member control available.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

I have been using the audio out (line level) from our podium to feed audio to our sacrament broadcast. There are times when the level is really low, and other times when it's really hot.

I have been unable to figure out what is changing to cause this,

First, it would be helpful if you described everything in your audio signal path from chapel output connector to your computer input connector. (every connector, adapter, cable, and laptop brand and model)

As mentioned before, the 1/8" (3.5mm) jacks develop a chronic problem after years of non-use. The contacts become oxidized and provide an unreliable contact UNTIL YOU CLEAN THEM.

You can test the connector by using a youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUqIISudOL4 to play a constant tone into the pulpit mic. At your computer, listen to the audio through headphones or watch your audio meters. Now have a second person wiggle the connector, as well as all other connectors in your audio cabling. If any dropouts or "scratchiness" occurs when you are wiggling you have a connector problem. If the problem is one of your cables then replace it. If the problem is the chapel audio output jack then remove and reinsert and twist your plug 10-100 times. If that doesn't fix the problem then turn in a workorder (FIR Request) to replace the jack.

If you have proved there is NO connector or cable problem then you should check several audio settings on your computer. On the computer's SETTINGS/SYSTEM/SOUND/Input/Device Properties/AdditionalDeviceProperties/MicrophoneEnhancements screen you should make sure NoAudioEnhancements is ON, EchoCancellation is OFF, and NoiseReduction is OFF. Also check ZOOM audio settings to make sure the UseOriginalAudio is set to ON.

If the settings are OK and you still have a problem then remove any 1/8" (3.5mm) mono to stereo adapter you might have connected to the chapel audio output jack and see if that helps.

If you still have a problem then consider using an external Audio to USB interface that is known to work/play well with the chapel audio out signal. The SABRENT AU-MMSA sound adapter or the BEHRINGER UCA202 Audio Interface. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRVQ0F8 or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KW2YEI. The BEHRINGER unit is very useful because it has a headphone jack and volume control that can monitor the line input independant of any setting on the computer - tus you can verify you are getting good audio at the computer.

Good luck. Troubleshooting takes lots time but the results are worth it when you solve the mystery !
ciroque

Post by ciroque »

For more context, I have years of experience with sound reinforcement for all manner of music, theater, and meeting (though as a hobbyist, not a professional). All my cables, connections, audio interfaces, and computers are kept up to date and handled with the utmost care. I consistently test all my equipment at home, especially when adding new features to our broadcast.

My question is more about the gain staging within the chapel and building. Everything works fine in the building. I am not sure if the jack I am using (labeled Audio Out) on the side of the pulpit is line Mic, Instrument, or Line level; though I would tend to believe it is Line level.

Having said that, adjusting the volume from the controls near the presiding officers seats (for the sound system and podium height) changes the level coming out of the "Audio Out" jack; so that tells me there is gain staging along the chain.

* My question is whether or not I can adjust the gain level on the "Audio Out" jack independent of the house speakers.

The full setup we are using follows:

- Behringer U-Control UCA222 USB Audio Interface; connected to the "Audio Out" jack in question using a Ruaeoda 3.5mm AUX Extension Cable 15 Feet, 3.5mm Auxiliary Audio Extension Cable
- The Behringer interface is connected to a Dell G7 15 7500 laptop, 16GB RAM via USB
- We use OBS for scene management and are hard-wired to the house network

Our most recent broadcast as of this reply can be found here: [link removed as this is a public forum]
Last edited by russellhltn on Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal information - this is a public forum
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

It's almost certain there is no provision in the PA system design to allow the local members to adjust that level independently of the house speakers. However, if you wish to attenuate the signal (or add gain), there are many options, including these: https://www.amazon.com/Volbox-inline-au ... B071VL2GF8 and https://www.instructables.com/DIY-Exter ... e-Control/ that a quick web search found.
ciroque

Post by ciroque »

rmrichesjr wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:43 pm It's almost certain there is no provision in the PA system design to allow the local members to adjust that level independently of the house speakers. However, if you wish to attenuate the signal (or add gain), there are many options, including these: https://www.amazon.com/Volbox-inline-au ... B071VL2GF8 and https://www.instructables.com/DIY-Exter ... e-Control/ that a quick web search found.
Thanks! Will look into those.

r/Steve
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Another fairly inexpensive option that can provide variable attenuation or gain along with level monitoring is to get a used cassette deck and feed the audio through it, with the deck in record mode. You turn the deck into basically a one-channel mixer. It's usually possible to enable a deck to go into record mode by sticking a finger into the empty cassette bay and gently pressing on the record protect switch while pushing the record button or lever.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I realize the last post on this thread was a while ago, but thought I'd add a comment in case it's still an issue. I don't know the age of your building's audio system. In the newer systems the church installs, everything is controlled by software. Newer systems are also connected to the internet and can be adjusted remotely. I'm not familiar with the software, but it's entirely possible that the behavior of the line out jack is controlled by the software. You may be able to chat with one of the church's a/v consultants and get its behavior adjusted.

You should get in contact with your FM group. If your system can be remotely administered, it's possible you can arrange for a call with the a/v consultant who can remotely review the configuration and adjust it, if necessary. If your system can't be remotely administered, you might be able to have the FM group get your building on a list of sites to visit when the a/v consultant visits (it's more economical to visit several buildings when the consultant is in the area than to bring the consultant in for one building at a time). I think there are around 4 consultants who cover the USA. Let your FM group know if you have time restrictions on when you can meet the consultant (i.e., do you have a job in the day and can't meet at that time). I found that when a consultant was in town that he worked during the day and into the late evening to cover as much as he could while in town. My work didn't allow me to meet during the day and the FM group scheduled him to be at our building in the evening so I could review a problem with him.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”