Out of Unit Callings

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jsto03

Out of Unit Callings

Post by jsto03 »

I serve as the Executive Secretary in a small Spanish Branch that relies a lot on English members to serve in leadership positions. Most of the English members still have their membership records in the English ward and then have out of unit callings to serve in the Spanish Branch. I am trying to go into LCR and update ministering assignments. However, from what I can gather, anyone who has their membership in the English ward is not showing up on the list to be able to have ministers assigned to visit them from the branch, however we can assign them to go and visit people. Is there a way to make it so we can give them ministers as well?
BrianEdwards

Re: Out of Unit Callings

Post by BrianEdwards »

This may be by design and not oversight (I'm not aware of it being specified anywhere, perhaps it is). GHB 33.6.5 specifies that for out-of-unit members, the "home ward" Bishop is the only one that has stewardship for things like interviews, ordinances, etc. So perhaps the intent is that only the home ward is responsible for ministering to those members with out-of-unit callings. For instance, if ministers were assigned to "out-of-unit" members, and the ministers found something they wanted to report to the Bishop (or Branch President), he would not be able to interview the "out-of-unit" members since only the home ward Bishop can do that.

Of course "out-of-unit" members can be assigned as ministers, since anything they find can be reported to the local leaders.

Others may add to this, just a thought as to why it might be programmed that way in LCR.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

At one time, out-of-unit members couldn't minister or be assigned ministers in the unit they were serving in.

This is the first I remember hearing they could minister.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

This is the first I remember hearing they could minister.
Looks like that's currently available. We even have an out-of-unit YM record in our unit (of ministering age), and we can assign him to minister. I assumed this was intentional, but at least I see the same as the OP.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I dug back in the past messages. It seems that it's always been possible to assign out-of-unit members as ministers. But you couldn't assign them as Home/Visiting teachers.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”