Adding a new video setup for a chapel

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
cyberrick1

Adding a new video setup for a chapel

Post by cyberrick1 »

Hi,

Our stake center has a permanent Lumens camera setup witch runs great. Now we are looking at putting a permanent camera in our other two buildings. I'd like to see
what you all would recommend on the camera we should use. The Lumens is a great camera but too pricey.

Thanks.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Adding a new video setup for a chapel

Post by Mikerowaved »

cyberrick1 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:58 am Now we are looking at putting a permanent camera in our other two buildings.
I would check with your FM group first. Unless it's changed, they have pretty strict instructions about not having any permanent cameras mounted in ward buildings.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

I have setup and used the PTZ Optics 20X SDI/HDMI cameras in 7 bldgs https://www.amazon.com//dp/B01BI7BQBU. They are expensive ($1600), but I have also purchased them on ebay for much less. An identical twin camera by Prisual https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097CF8482can be purchased on Amazon for $600. A close cousin camera by FoMako https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L5GW5Q1is also on Amazon. The nice thing about these cameras is the ability to stream directly from the camera to youtube. Free camera control software from PtzOptics works on all of them.

In some bldgs the cameras are wall mounted, while other bldgs bring the camera out each Sunday and setup on a tripod. In both cases the audio is routed (in attic or taped along side wall of chapel) to the camera with a 100ft stereo headphone extension cable that is permanently plugged into the chapel record output jack. If running audio cable isn't possible then you can use a wireless audio conection like thishttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MCGQ8S2. The audio receiver can get it's power from the USB port of the camera.

In two bldgs we completely automated the sacrament meeting broadcasts by using a 24/7 timer relayhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073DGGHD7 to turn on/off the camera's POE power for each sacrament meeting. As soon as the camera is turned on it starts streaming to youtube. The audio is automatically switched off during the sacrament ordinance when the camera is panned 90degrees to the side via a magnetic switch that is attached to the side of the camera (see attached picture for better explanation). The bishopric uses the IR remote control to select one of several preset positions (pulpit, piano, choir, sacrament ordinance with audio-off, etc). Recently we ran a second audio cable from the organ to the camera, bypassing the magnetic audio off switch at camera, so the organ prelude, sacrament hymn, and postlude can be heard at all times, even when the sound system is off.
Camera_AudioSw_and_Sign.jpg
For the last 2 years we have allowed anyone to watch the streams just by going to our stake website hosted on a free google "site" and clicking on a youtube link. Starting this month we were asked to limit access to the streams, so now when the member clicks on the button to watch the stream, a Google Form will popup. The member must enter their name and a pincode unique to their ward that they received from their Bishop, afterwhich the streams can be watched. Google Forms automatically logs the time, member name, & pincode to a Google spreadsheet each time the stream is accessed.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

SMTAV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PFQSGVH also makes an identical twin to the PtzOptics 20X camera and is in the $600 dollar range.
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

Just one observation,
GH 38.8.8
Local units may use the written name of the Church (not the wordmark or symbol)

Wordmark and symbol. The Church’s wordmark and symbol (see the illustration above) are to be used only as approved by the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
joeneuman

Post by joeneuman »

While it is true that permanently affixing video equipment to non-steak centers is not allowed by FM it is possible to install a temporary solution that we built inside this existing bookshelf. This setup is great because there's no computer required and anyone can just push the ON AIR button to go live on YouTube. We decided it was easier to just start the broadcast in the morning and leave it going to for 3 wards. The FM group had no problem adding a house audio out and a network jack.
Attachments
unnamed (1).jpg
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Nice. I'd suggest waiting to see what the church settles on for webcasting. Right now, Zoom is the only approved method. We'll have to see what they say about other services in the long run.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

joeneuman wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:50 pm ...that we built inside this existing bookshelf.
Nice setup. Just curious, does it get locked up during the week?
joeneuman

Post by joeneuman »

It does not. We are working on adding a door that locks that will fold down.
wbince

Post by wbince »

Mikerowaved wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:22 am
I would check with your FM group first. Unless it's changed, they have pretty strict instructions about not having any permanent cameras mounted in ward buildings.
I thought I had understood this to be the case, however the response I got from our FM Group Leader was that the stake could install one but the FM Group could not do the installation or maintain it once it was installed.

The group leader even gave me contact information to a contractor they use to install them.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”