System allowed Bishop to approve twice

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dh228

System allowed Bishop to approve twice

Post by dh228 »

LCR allowed the Bishop to approve some recent reimbursements twice as the only approver. He submitted it both times and the system allowed it to go through. Nobody else reviewed or approved it. Seems to be a glitch in the system.

My understanding is that two different people are required to review and approve each expense reimbursement.

So now that the expense has been processed this way, is there anything that can be done to fix this in the system? Or is it too late? Should I just let it go and let the Bishop know to not do this again moving forward?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: System allowed Bishop to approve twice

Post by russellhltn »

I'd imagine the developers will want to fix that. Use the feedback link to report the details if you haven't already.

I'm not sure what to do to keep the auditors happy other than "Didn't realize it, LCR allowed it".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:43 pm I'm not sure what to do to keep the auditors happy other than "Didn't realize it, LCR allowed it".
A counselor or clerk could write a note of agreement that the expenditure was proper and include it in the file. It appears that LCR accepts the bishop approval (required for all expenses) as a second approval if one is not already there.

That note would probably satisfy an auditor.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

There is a scenario where the system will process an expense or payment request with only one approver. An expense payment in which the receipts are not uploaded to the system and the payment instrument is a paper check will go directly to Print Checks with only one approver. In this scenario the two signatories on the check are the two approvers. This is not readily detectable by an auditor unless he/she views the check image.

The system will not allow an expense or payment request to complete processing without two approvers if there are attachments or the payment instrument is an electronic funds transfer (EFT).
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dh228

Post by dh228 »

@jdlessley

must be a glitch in the system, because there were uploaded receipts and it allowed the bishop to be both approvers.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

That definitely is a bug.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

... and it allowed the bishop to be both approvers
For clarity, what was your Bishop's process? Somehow he was the first approver, and then also became the second approver. It seems to me like if the Bishop understood the two-approval requirement, when he saw that a second approval was needed, he should have looked at who was the first approver, and realized it was himself. And then not perform the second approval. Or in your case was this not readily apparent to the Bishop?

Granted it seems a bug exists and LCRF should not allow this to happen. But I'd make sure the Bishop is paying close attention to everything he approves (expenses, Financial Statements), and not just clicking through items.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

BrianEdwards wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:22 am
... and it allowed the bishop to be both approvers
For clarity, what was your Bishop's process? Somehow he was the first approver, and then also became the second approver. It seems to me like if the Bishop understood the two-approval requirement, when he saw that a second approval was needed, he should have looked at who was the first approver, and realized it was himself. And then not perform the second approval. Or in your case was this not readily apparent to the Bishop?

Granted it seems a bug exists and LCRF should not allow this to happen. But I'd make sure the Bishop is paying close attention to everything he approves (expenses, Financial Statements), and not just clicking through items.
I don't know what the UI looks like, but I could imagine him clicking something but not really being sure if it saved/went through, then clicking the button again to be sure.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”