New Ward-Based Experiences on the Gospel Library App

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
rdunkel

Re: New Ward-Based Experiences on the Gospel Library App

Post by rdunkel »

I am a Ward Elders Quorum President. I am being prompted to enter the lessons from GC iny GL Android app. I have entered all the lessons accept for April 23rd because our Stake had us change that to a SS lesson due to Ward Conference being the week before. This seems to be holding the whole six months of lessons from being published as I keep getting prompted to enter April 23rd lesson.
Thoughts?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rdunkel wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:38 am I am a Ward Elders Quorum President. I am being prompted to enter the lessons from GC iny GL Android app. I have entered all the lessons accept for April 23rd because our Stake had us change that to a SS lesson due to Ward Conference being the week before. This seems to be holding the whole six months of lessons from being published as I keep getting prompted to enter April 23rd lesson.
Report your findings to the stake. Let them know the system doesn't allow them to make this change.

But either way, this would appear to be solved in a little over a week.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

As a workaround, you could just enter any random conference talk to the lesson as a place holder. You may need to communicate to your Quorum to ignore that lesson.
casper_n

Post by casper_n »

I serve in a Spanish ward bishopric. I can see the tool to select hymns, but it only lets me choose English hymns.

Is that a current limitation, or is it because my Gospel Library app is in English? (Side note, I couldn't figure out how to switch the app into Spanish to test that, so I'm open to that idea if it's doable.)
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

The GL app inherits the cellphone's system language settings. So if you change the system language to Spanish, then GL will allow you to choose the hymns in Spanish.

As an aside, please consider adding this as Feedback into the Church's system, I have the feeling that this is a very common type of scenario. I've submitted feedback myself, so that regardless of the langauge that a hymn or EQ/RS lesson was entered, it would display in the user's language of choice. And the more voices that request this enhancement, the better chance (hopefully) this will get added soon.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

BrianEdwards wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:21 pm The GL app inherits the cellphone's system language settings. So if you change the system language to Spanish, then GL will allow you to choose the hymns in Spanish.
Once the basic selection process for a primary language is resolved, there will be additional challenges in a bilingual ward.

The EQ/RS lesson (conference talk) should be easy. The talks are already available in different languages on a one-for-one basis.

The hymn part will be problematic because foreign language hymns are not translated directly. The hymn number will be different if it even exists in the foreign language. The title rarely translates directly, The text is usually different.

Hymn selection in different languages would probably require the creation of a data lookup table to make the jump from English to other languages. It is not the same as a conference talk that has the same identification in any language with the language designation being the only difference.

That said, I am still in favor of developing that capability. We have a chart tacked to the bulletin board in our clerks office with the English to Spanish hymn list a former stake clerk developed many years ago.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

lajackson wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:36 pm
BrianEdwards wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:21 pm The GL app inherits the cellphone's system language settings. So if you change the system language to Spanish, then GL will allow you to choose the hymns in Spanish.
Within the app you can also change your language. It's an option under the 3 dot menu.
lajackson wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:36 pm Once the basic selection process for a primary language is resolved, there will be additional challenges in a bilingual ward.

The EQ/RS lesson (conference talk) should be easy. The talks are already available in different languages on a one-for-one basis.

The hymn part will be problematic because foreign language hymns are not translated directly. The hymn number will be different if it even exists in the foreign language. The title rarely translates directly, The text is usually different.

Hymn selection in different languages would probably require the creation of a data lookup table to make the jump from English to other languages. It is not the same as a conference talk that has the same identification in any language with the language designation being the only difference.

That said, I am still in favor of developing that capability. We have a chart tacked to the bulletin board in our clerks office with the English to Spanish hymn list a former stake clerk developed many years ago.
Even though the hymns don't have the same numbers they've got them mapped between languages (at least English and Spanish). Last week my Spanish speaking in-laws were with us in church and I found the hymn in English and then switched my language to Spanish (I had already downloaded the Spanish hymns) and it went to the correct hymn even though the number was different. I don't know how that will work in the new section of the app, but I hope they do the same thing there.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jonesrk wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:20 pm Even though the hymns don't have the same numbers they've got them mapped between languages (at least English and Spanish).
This is absolutely wonderful.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

lajackson wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:21 am
jonesrk wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:20 pm Even though the hymns don't have the same numbers they've got them mapped between languages (at least English and Spanish).
This is absolutely wonderful.
Yes I was happily surprised. The old ways of finding them were much harder.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

If you go to the main hymns webpage https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/mus ... s?lang=eng, and select any hymn, on the page that appears there's a menu in the upper-right that defaults to English. Clicking there, you can choose from the different languages and it automatically displays the corresponding hymn. In the url, it's the standard suffix change from ".....lang=eng" to "lang=ita" or whatever is selected. The languages that appear in the drop-down menu are specific to whether the particular hymn is available in the corresponding language hymnal (I've found a few errors, but it seems pretty solid). So some hymns have a lot of choices for languages, others just a few. It's been this way for some time.

That said, given the mismatches between what hymns are in all the various language hymnals, I wouldn't be surprised if the Church waits until the long-awaited new hymnal comes out, and all the hymns in every hymnal are identically available. But if they want to do it sooner, it seems the mapping exists so I'll keep my hopes up 8-)

Return to “Gospel Library”