Dual-language support for Ward-based GL Experience

BrianEdwards

Dual-language support for Ward-based GL Experience

Post by BrianEdwards »

Our unit has a large number of members who are primarily Spanish-speakers. We currently have two hymn boards, one for Spanish and the other for English, and have hymnals in both languages available in the pews. Our question is about dual-language support of the Ward-based Gospel Library experience, and the support material we found doesn't speak directly to this mixed-congregation experience. We are planning on trying it out and seeing what we can find, but for now we have two questions:

1) For hymns, if the hymns are entered in English, for a member whose cellphone is set to Spanish language, will Gospel Library change the displayed hymns automatically to the Spanish-language versions? (FYI, we always select hymns that are available in both hymnals)

2) For RS/EQ lessons, will the Conference talks specified also be automatically changed in Gospel Library, to the talk references in the language the member has set in their cellphone?

We are excited about this, but also sensitive to our Spanish-speaking members, and want to always try and make them feel as included as our English-speaking members. If needed I can submit Feedback, but first wanted to see if there's some kind of support already available. If anyone knows details about how this experience works for multiple-languages, please share!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Dual-language support for Ward-based GL Experience

Post by sbradshaw »

Currently, a leader can only choose hymns or talks in the language of their device. The hymns and talks are stored in that language, and will show and navigate in that language for everyone in the ward. After navigating to a hymn or talk, a ward member can use the Language menu in the top right to quickly switch to the equivalent hymn or talk in their preferred language (if it exists).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
BrianEdwards

Re: Dual-language support for Ward-based GL Experience

Post by BrianEdwards »

Thanks for that info, I expected that was likely how things are implemented. I'll submit feedback to have the Hymn and RS/EQ tile selections automatically update (when possible) to the corresponding link for the user's language setting. I imagine that this already is a member's experience with the current Come Follow Me tile on the Home screen of Gospel Library -- when a member clicks the CFM tile it should take them to that week's Come Follow Me study page in the system language, without requiring the user to first see it in English and then select their desired language.

It's an easy-enough workaround even for technophobes, but it's still good to have this request in the system for future consideration if it aligns with other projects that could utilize the same underlying functionality if implemented.

Return to “Mobile Applications”