Creating lists only accessible to leadership

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
Jester572

Creating lists only accessible to leadership

Post by Jester572 »

As an executive secretary, I would like to know if there is a way to create a list that is only visible to ward leadership. I would like to create a "Do not Contact" list so leadership does not contact specific people.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Creating lists only accessible to leadership

Post by lajackson »

Jester572 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:55 am I would like to know if there is a way to create a list that is only visible to ward leadership.
Lists in Member Tools are individual and there is not currently a way to share them between leaders or members. You are the only one who will see any list you create in Member Tools.

I would also note that there is direction not to create the kind of list you wish to create. Other lists would be just fine, however.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:42 pm I would also note that there is direction not to create the kind of list you wish to create.
Has that guidance been stated in recent times? As I recall, it was a message sent though MLS. I don't recall as it was ever in a Letter or Handbook.

Something I would do is make the members are aware of the privacy settings as well as the email subscription options.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:56 pm
lajackson wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:42 pm I would also note that there is direction not to create the kind of list you wish to create.
Has that guidance been stated in recent times?
No, but the message referred to a scripture that was pretty definitive, in my opinion. Section 4.2.2 of the General Handbook is also enlightening on this subject. And there are many other Handbook references that include the word "all".
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:57 am
russellhltn wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:56 pm
Has that guidance been stated in recent times?
No, but the message referred to a scripture that was pretty definitive, in my opinion. Section 4.2.2 of the General Handbook is also enlightening on this subject. And there are many other Handbook references that include the word "all".
There's a difference between choosing to not minister to an individual and honoring their a request not to.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I think the phrase "Do Not Contact" is ambiguous enough that we often speak past each other when discussing the issue, with different interpretations of whether that means "please don't send me texts or emails", or "I'm calling the police if anyone from the Church shows up at my door". For example, GHB 33.6 outlines certain membership info that is "vital" to be kept updated, and contacting members may be only way to perform that responsibility. So some level of contact from The Church seems proper, or church records for that member become almost pointless. However, as noted the Handbook is silent on the specifics of what type of additional contact should occur, or the frequency of that outreach, for members who have determined to stop participating. It is also silent about how to ensure we never overlook members that at one time desired "no contact", but now are at a point where they (perhaps unknowingly) are waiting for an invitation to return. But if there is something out there that is official and current, that would be great to know about.

So for now, I think GHB 0.4 is my best advice for what to do with questions that are not addressed in the scriptures, words of the living prophets, or the Handbook.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

BrianEdwards wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:58 am I think the phrase "Do Not Contact" is ambiguous enough that we often speak past each other when discussing the issue, with different interpretations of whether that means "please don't send me texts or emails", or "I'm calling the police if anyone from the Church shows up at my door".
This is a valid point to consider. I once spoke with a sister in our ward who requested no contact. She actually was happy to have contact but her husband is not a member and is antagonistic to the church so contact made things difficult for her if he was aware of it. This is a perfect example of where thoughtful discussions in ward council can possibly address specific instances where we can minister to the individual in a meaningful manner that works for them. No one size fits all which is what "do not contact" lists tend to do.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BrianEdwards wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:58 am I think the phrase "Do Not Contact" is ambiguous enough that we often speak past each other when discussing the issue, with different interpretations of whether that means "please don't send me texts or emails", or "I'm calling the police if anyone from the Church shows up at my door".
True. It looks like the church is going to add they option to unsubscribe from local emails which should take care of a number of requests. The option is there, I just don't know if it's active yet.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I would like to create a "Do not Contact" list so leadership does not contact specific people
@Jester572, in response to your idea, I'd encourage you to search the Forum (if you haven't already), there's a ton of really good past discussion in various different posts about this topic. One recurring thought is there's a wide spectrum of viewpoints regarding how much detail to put into a potential list like this. If the current leaders move out of your ward and the new leaders don't know anything more than a name they see on a "Do not Contact" list, they may incorrectly assume what that means. Yet including lots of details can (a) infringe on the idea of member info privacy, or (b) predispose future leaders by what a current leader feels about a member. Just be aware that anything you do today regarding a "Do not Contact" list that makes your lives easier, will have repercussions down the road, potentially helping but also potentially hindering future leader-member relationships.

Again, rather than rehashing it all here, I'd suggest looking at other threads on this topic, and gathering viewpoints that are applicable to your situation, and then presenting them to the Bishop for discussion.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:16 pm True. It looks like the church is going to add they option to unsubscribe from local emails which should take care of a number of requests. The option is there, I just don't know if it's active yet.
It does appear to be active. If you unsubscribe from local emails then Send A Message in LCR will not show your email (it says 'Unsubscribed') and won't let you select that person.

Return to “Member Tools”