Gospel Voice App on Google Home ending in June

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
Pace

Gospel Voice App on Google Home ending in June

Post by Pace »

I use the Gospel Voice google home app (https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/lea ... e?lang=eng) everyday to listen to scriptures, music and conference talks. It's incredibly helpful and easy to just talk to and get good content. Recently the app won't load when you say "talk to Gospel Voice" Google would stop listening on the word Gospel. So I started saying "Voice Gospel Open" and that worked well.

This week the app announced when it loaded that it will no longer be available after June 13th.

A google search mentions nothing on the church site, but did turn up that Google announced "Conversational Actions are going away". This is very saddening to me.
Will we convert the gospel voice app from a conversational action and into an "Android App" that can still run on Google Home? Has anyone heard?
Pace

Re: Gospel Voice App on Google Home ending in June

Post by Pace »

Quick update, you can still access Gospel Voice on Google Home by saying "Gospel Voice open". The original command "talk to gospel voice" never works for me.

I also found that last year at Google IO they announced conversations are going away but developers can switch to Android Actions. So hopefully the church devs are working on an update.
Here's that announcement with links to documentation on how to devs can switch the app: https://developers.googleblog.com/2022/ ... droid.html
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Here's that announcement with links to documentation on how to devs can switch the app:
@Pace, if you are hoping that the info you've shared in your post will make it to the Church development team, this Forum is not the correct method. There are some Forum members with knowledge they've gained from direct interactions with the Church's IT group, but for the most part everyone here is a regular church member with no influence/connection to the Church's development efforts. So please make sure you submit this Feedback using the standard Feedback functionality at the bottom of most Church webpages.

That said, posting this info is great, I'm sure there's other Forum members who share your desire for this enhancement, and hopefully they also will submit feedback requesting the Church make that transition.
Matthew.birkinbine

Post by Matthew.birkinbine »

Has there been a fix to this? I haven’t been able to continue my study of the Old Testament successfully since Gospel Voice deactivated.
blakecheryl

Post by blakecheryl »

The proper place to post for the Gospel Voice App is: gospelvoice@churchofjesuschrist.org

Return to “Other Member Technologies”