New Samsung Tv Setup, Configuration, and Connections

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
schestev

New Samsung Tv Setup, Configuration, and Connections

Post by schestev »

Some notes and thoughts found while setting up our new Samsung UN65TU700 Smart Tvs...
Rather than hijack a thread I found only somewhat related, I thought it might be best to start a new one covering some of the issues that have surfaced and how we met them, or not.

What I Did After Installation...
I haven't found a good solution to anchor the hdmi cable connected to the tv. However, I believe a Flat 90 adapter pointing down can go a long ways to decreasing stress on the hdmi jack in the tv.
(Not shown in the attached photos)

But what to do with cables that just hang down seems to work well with an extra large sticky wall hook mounted in the recess of the connector area. The cable is coiled and wrapped with a velcro one-wrap thin tie shown in the photos, then hung on the hook. Whether the velcro tie actually will get used or not is up for grabs. But at least if coiled the cable can be rehung on the hook.

What to do with the Remote...
I'm using heavy duty 2" wide velcro cut to 1" in length and attaching the felt side to the top of the back of the remote, just above the battery compartment cover. Then cut the hook side in half (a little is all it takes to hold the remote) and attach it to the right hand back side of the tv as seen in the photo.

Issues with Tv Configuration...
Still wrangling with Smart Hub thinking it knows better than I on what is appropriate to offer, display, or play in a church setting, e.g. FREE tv channels, 240 of them, and of course all the streaming services et al. I can disable the channels and delete or at least lock most all the smart hub options and remove all but desired buttons from "Home" but can't seem to find a way to prevent a user from installing an App and bypassing the safeguards.

Connection Results...
Connecting to the Tv is of course the main concern.
HDMI is a snap.
Miracast from a Windows laptop (already built-in in Windows 10) smooth and easy to use except you lose the connection if you switch the source to something else.
USB plays movies easy-peasy.
I have no Apple devices so no test results there with wired or AirPlay...yet.

Connection Issues Unresolved...
The only thing I'm struggling most with is casting from Android phones. I've followed all the instructions, to the letter. The tv shows up in the list of devices, click it to connect which it tries to do, a notice pops up on the tv screen to allow or deny connection...and then nothing. It times out and quits. Can't tell if it's a content filter or a firewall router issue that may be blocking the data traffic to connect and play.

Haven't tried yet but Bluetooth and P2P from device to tv is next on my list of things to try.

All in all, I could sure use some feedback and input from others who may have found answers/workarounds on the things we are still struggling with here or some clever ideas on what YOU did with the remote.

:o

Thanks
S Schellenberg
STS
Attachments
Cable and Remote Organizer2.jpg
Organizer Supplies2.jpg
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New Samsung Tv Setup, Configuration, and Connections

Post by russellhltn »

(No photos - yet)
schestev wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:13 pm I haven't found a good solution to anchor the hdmi cable connected to the tv.
Can you tie-wrap the cable to something? I did that on a TV cart - tie-wrap to the supporting structure. That at least takes the strain relief off of it.

schestev wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:13 pm Issues with Tv Configuration...
Still wrangling with Smart Hub thinking it knows better than I on what is appropriate to offer, display, or play in a church setting, e.g. FREE tv channels, 240 of them, and of course all the streaming services et al. I can disable the channels and delete or at least lock most all the smart hub options and remove all but desired buttons from "Home" but can't seem to find a way to prevent a user from installing an App and bypassing the safeguards.
No Parental Controls? (You're the parent, the members are the children). That's what the church experimented with when they were playing with Webcast receivers.

schestev wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:13 pmConnection Issues Unresolved...
The only thing I'm struggling most with is casting from Android phones. I've followed all the instructions, to the letter. The tv shows up in the list of devices, click it to connect which it tries to do, a notice pops up on the tv screen to allow or deny connection...and then nothing. It times out and quits. Can't tell if it's a content filter or a firewall router issue that may be blocking the data traffic to connect and play.
How are you connecting? Is is direct to a WiFi on the TV, or is it going though the church network?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
schestev

Post by schestev »

russellhltn wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:23 pm (No photos - yet)
They've been posted. Forgot them on the first submit. *rolling eyes*
russellhltn wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:23 pmCan you tie-wrap the cable to something? I did that on a TV cart - tie-wrap to the supporting structure. That at least takes the strain relief off of it.
It is possible to loop the cable back to the mounting bracket, but that would take ~2ft of usable cable. The other option would be to (gasp) drill a couple of small holes in the back cover...not anxious to try that though.
russellhltn wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:23 pmNo Parental Controls? (You're the parent, the members are the children). That's what the church experimented with when they were playing with Webcast receivers.
Oh yes, of course parental controls, such as they are, have been implemented. I have gone through and set all the settings for "G" rated only. Changed the Lock code and locked pretty much everything that streams.
russellhltn wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:23 pmHow are you connecting? Is is direct to a WiFi on the TV, or is it going though the church network?
Direct to the tv (P2P) is next on my list of things to try, but for now am going through the church network (wireless only until they install a wired network jack at the tvs) gives me no smiles or happiness.

Thanks for the ideas though.
Last edited by russellhltn on Thu May 11, 2023 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote tags
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Thanks for posting the pics. I think everyone in each individual unit is likely reinventing the wheel when it comes to how to resolve the issues you describe, some more effectively than others. As the Church is not providing any standardization regarding these issues (simply installing the TV's and "good luck"), it's helpful to have pics and descriptions we can consider for our own buildings.
schestev

Post by schestev »

Thanks Brian,
I posted the how and with what pics only to show one way that seemed to work well in our environment. If I know the people in this forum at all, they will take it and make it fit their particular needs and with some pretty awesome ideas.

That said, I truly am stuck casting to the tv with my phone...easily. Admittedly there are some kludgy workarounds that could be used. But connecting wirelessly from Android phones would be the preferred method.
Thanks to all.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

schestev wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:13 pm All in all, I could sure use some feedback and input from others who may have found answers/workarounds on the things we are still struggling with here or some clever ideas on what YOU did with the remote.
We did not want users 1) moving the TV, 2) getting behind it to plug in/store cables or storing remote control, 3) accessing any of the TV's setup info or apps, 4) walking away with the IR Remote - so we did the following.

We used a 6 button "IR Learning Remote" on the end of a 60" shoelace to only provide ON/OFF, Vol+, Vol-, Exit, and Ack functions to prevent any 'techy' user from modifying the configuration of the TV. Consequently, there is NO access to any of the streaming apps, wifi setup, or input selection. The TV input is set to HDMI 1, and cannot be changed. Switching between HDMI 1, AirPlay, or MiraCast is automatic. We attached a 6ft HDMI Male to Female extension cable to the TV and just let it hang below the TV so the user can attach their 'wired' devices so there is no need to move the TV away from the wall for any reason. The IR Learning Remote as well as a UsbC to HDMI adapter (for Android devices) are stored in a 'Wall Mount Remote Control Holder'. Instructions for wired and wireless connections as well as STS contact info is attached to the wall with thumbtacks.

Remote Control Holder https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0923TF682
Learning Remote https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Control ... B08SKGHKHF
HDMI Extension Cable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GBBSY9Q

See pics for details..... (clip on pic and it will rotate to proper orientation)
TV - Learning Remote and USB-C HDMI Adapter.jpg
TV - HDMI Extension Cable.jpg
TV - Hanging HDMI Input Cable.jpg
carsonm

Post by carsonm »

These are all very cool ideas/tips. With these Samsung TVs it looks to have digital audio output.
Does anyone have any tips and/or experience on how to bring that audio into the room overhead speakers, like the Relief society room. In the past, i could use the "Crab box" EJ-8 or 10 from a projector or older tvs so the video shown could alsobe heard better in the room not just the first few rows. I am guessing that it would need some converter box from digital audio to analog to do it. Thanks.
schestev

Post by schestev »

@carsonm
After doing some light searching online, there are a number of digital to analog converters in the 10 to 20 dollar range or,
you could bluetooth the audio to a receiver and feed that output to the sound system through your spyder box for about the same cost.

And one more thing to all...
I stand corrected. I thought what I was using was Windows 10 that had Miracast built-in. It is not. What IS built-in and DOES work is called Windows Connect Now.
It seems Miracast is just another flavor of a cast app, e.g. Airplay and Chromecast.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

I posted earlier in this thread about a simple & secure setup for Samsung Smart TVs (see post #6). The newest Samsung TVs added a "feature" that made operation less secure and more complicated.

During 2023 our stake received a new 50" Samsung "Smart" TV (the CU8000 Series). It was a little too smart. Each time we connected a device (laptop, phone, tablet, dvd player, etc) to HDMI 1 the TV would go to a "Detecting Device" screen (see pic 1) that requires you to press the "down" key, which in turn takes you to the "home" screen where you have to press the "Accept/Ack/OK" key which activates HDMI1 (see pic 2). Previous "less smart" Samsung TVs went directly to video whenever we connected anything to HDMI 1. Samsung has told many users that this "detecting" feature cannot be turned off BUT a 5 key sequence on the IR remote WILL TOGGLE THIS FUNCTION ON & OFF (see pic 3 instructions). We have done this successfully on 3 different models and sizes of Samsung TVs.

Once the "autodetect" feature is turned OFF you can use a simple 6 button "learning" IR remote (see pic 4) "programmed" to limit what the member can access on the TV AND make the TV more secure. The only functions implemented on the "learning" remote are Power, VolUp, VolDwn, Exit, and Acknowledge(Accept/Ok). The member can no longer access (easily) any Apps, Setup, or Network screens ! The TV is now as secure as possible.

The TV setup we do is:
1) Connect TV to Liahona network so Airplay & MiraCast work properly.
2) Enable Airplay & MiraCast (and require pincode every time).
3) Delete all "delete-able" apps. Lock remaining "undelete-able" apps with a pincode.
4) Program a 6 button "learning" IR remote and attach it to TV with a 6ft shoelace.
5) Provide some printed "how-to" instructions attached to cart or wall near TV.
6) Permanently attach a HDMI extension cable to TV and secure it with tiewraps to relieve strain on HDMI1 connector.

Detecting Device Screen.jpg
Home Screen.jpg
Instructions to Turn OFF Autodetect.jpg
Learning Remote.jpg

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”