Simplifying Receipt Reimbursements with Automated Total Calculation

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
mrqz83

Simplifying Receipt Reimbursements with Automated Total Calculation

Post by mrqz83 »

Hey everyone,

I'm Luis Marquez, a recent graduate in computer programming in Canada, and I wanted to share an idea I had for improving the user experience in our mobile application for receipt reimbursements. We encountered a challenge where users need to manually calculate and input the total amount for each receipt before uploading them, which can be time-consuming and error-prone, especially for elderly users.

To address this, I've been working on automating the process using OCR (Optical Character Recognition) technology. By leveraging Tesseract, I can now extract the subtotal and HST values from the uploaded receipts automatically. This eliminates the need for users to perform manual calculations and significantly simplifies the reimbursement process. Of course, due I'm a junior, I need to tune this better. To further enhance the accuracy of the OCR results, I am working on implementing preprocessing techniques such as image enhancement and noise reduction. These techniques improve the quality of the uploaded receipt images and ensure more accurate extraction of amounts, even for receipts with varying quality and formatting.

Once I retrieve the subtotal and HST values, this application performs the necessary calculations to determine the total amount. Although this idea is still in its early stages, I believe it has the potential to greatly improve the overall user experience and reduce the burden on our users, especially those who may struggle with numbers or have limited technological proficiency.

I am continually refining the OCR and preprocessing algorithms to enhance the accuracy and reliability of the results. I would appreciate any feedback, suggestions, or insights from the community to help us further improve our application and make the reimbursement process as seamless as possible for all users.

I created a public repository in case somebody would like to take a look: https://github.com/Lmarquez1983/receipt-to-text (don't judge the code! I'm still learning :geek: )

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Best regards,

Luis Marquez
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: Simplifying Receipt Reimbursements with Automated Total Calculation

Post by rmrichesjr »

mrqz83 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:10 pm ... (don't judge the code! I'm still learning :geek: )
We are all still learning.

Return to “Member Tools”