Resigning membership - is there confirmation?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mevans

Resigning membership - is there confirmation?

Post by mevans »

We have some individuals in the ward who want to resign their membership in the church. There the handbook, there are two ways to do this: giving a resignation letter to the bishop or sending a notarized resignation letter to church headquarters (see https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... ml#title98). I have some questions about this:

Mailing Address
If the member elects to send a notarized letter directly to church headquarters, should it be sent to the 50 E. North Temple Street address? Should the address include anything like "Attn: Membership Department"? Will the church accept certified mail at this address?

Confirmation of Removal
The person has requested confirmation of removal.
  • If the member sends the request directly to church headquarters, does the church mail something back to the individual confirming that the resignation is complete?
  • If the process is done via the bishop and stake president through LCR, is there some kind of confirmation that can be printed and given to the person confirming the resignation is complete?
BrianEdwards

Re: Resigning membership - is there confirmation?

Post by BrianEdwards »

I do not believe there will be much publicly available info about those questions (even for a Bishop looking in LCR with his access privileges). And even if something was true a couple years ago when somebody went through this process, it may not be current today. So I won't share my experiences since they may not be applicable to how things currently work.

If I was the Bishop, I would first consult with my immediate Priesthood leader (aka the Stake President). I expect he'll likely suggest the Bishop contact SLC (maybe the GSD) directly. But there's a lot of knowledgeable Forum members, I'm interested to see what they might know about.

I understand this is assuredly a very sensitive issue for those individuals, and they surely have strong personal feelings about wanting the confirmation.

Return to “Membership Help”