Recording baptism Ordinances

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
erichiku68

Recording baptism Ordinances

Post by erichiku68 »

Hi,

I need to record baptism ordinances for a member that was baptized at the age of 8yrs but was not recorded by the clerk, the member is now 21yrs old, We know the date and we have witnesses to the baptism, but can't remember who was the baptizer or who did the confirmation, the bishop is one of the witnesses. How do I enter the information as a baptizer and confirmation person?

Kind Regards
BrianEdwards

Re: Recording baptism Ordinances

Post by BrianEdwards »

I'm guessing you've tried via LCR, and I would not be surprised if the options available in LCR do not allow for this situation. If the online entry does not allow the skipping of the baptizer and confirmer, you'd then need to contact GSD directly. Obviously it's permissible since GHB 38.2.6.1 allows for the two witnesses to only supply the year the ordinance was performed (and not who performed either the baptism or the confirmation). GSD should be able to bypass this LCR roadblock and create the ordinance record(s) for baptism and confirmation.
erichiku68

Post by erichiku68 »

Thanks for the reply, exactly what I thought. I had spoken to GSD Prior to posting here and they never mentioned that was the process. I remember in MLS you were able to do it but not now in LCR, I just rang GSD again and they are going to escalate it to Membership Department to add the Ordinances to the record.

Awesome
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

BrianEdwards wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:39 pm Obviously it's permissible since GHB 38.2.6.1 allows for the two witnesses to only supply the year the ordinance was performed (and not who performed either the baptism or the confirmation).
A clarification for others who may come across this situation and read this thread:
I just ran into the situation of a member of a family that just moved into our ward a couple of months ago that did not have the baptism recorded or a record created. In reviewing General Handbook, 38.2.6.1 it states "The two witnesses should: Give their testimony in writing, stating either (1) the complete date the ordinance was performed or (2) the year it was performed and the person who performed it." (bold emphasis added)
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Oops! :roll:

Thanks for catching my error, clearly I mixed up "year" and "date" when writing the response. I definitely should have written the following:

Obviously it's permissible since GHB 38.2.6.1 allows for the two witnesses to only supply the date the ordinance was performed (and not who performed either the baptism or the confirmation).

Return to “Membership Help”