Range for IP assignment no longer reserved?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
danpass

Range for IP assignment no longer reserved?

Post by danpass »

Previously, in the Public Zone, there was a range, starting immediately after the firewall address, which consisted of the next 31 IP addresses. This range was reserved for manual configuration of static IP addresses to devices on the network. It has been my understanding that the DHCP server on the firewall would not assign addresses from that range to devices who's MAC address did not match one of those assigned. I recently noticed that DHCP is now handing out addresses from that range to member devices not configured for assigned IPs. Also I see that the range if IP address which can be configured through the IP assignment tool seems to include the entire range of IP addresses configured in the Public Zone, rather than just the first 31 addresses.

Is this a recent change? I don't recall hearing anything announced.

It was a little frustrating to find that an IP address I was intending to assign to a new network device, was in use by a member's laptop.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Range for IP assignment no longer reserved?

Post by russellhltn »

Looking at CNM, you seem to be correct. There's no longer a reserved range. Static and dynamic are mixed.

This is the first I've heard of it.

Where there's a certain amount of tidiness about keeping them separate, I suspect in practice it's less work for everyone. Now when someone approaches you about making a newly added clerk printer static, you can just assign it it's current IP address and not have to have all the users re-enter the new address.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
natet

Post by natet »

russellhltn wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:41 pm Looking at CNM, you seem to be correct. There's no longer a reserved range. Static and dynamic are mixed.

This is the first I've heard of it.
It would have been nice for IT support to communicate this change with us. I have clerks computers and printer/copiers set up on static IP's in multiple buildings.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

natet wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:20 pm I have clerks computers and printer/copiers set up on static IP's in multiple buildings.
As long as they were recorded in CNM, that shouldn't be an issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”