Directory Visibility, Parents and Children

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
AdrianFMorgan

Directory Visibility, Parents and Children

Post by AdrianFMorgan »

A family in our ward wants the ward directory to display only the parents in their family, but not their children. I have not found a solution. The closest I've seen is to change the household visibility to private, limiting the whole family to leadership-only views. Can the visibility of parents have a ward visibility setting and the children have a private, leadership only visibility setting?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Directory Visibility, Parents and Children

Post by lajackson »

AdrianFMorgan wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:05 pm Can the visibility of parents have a ward visibility setting and the children have a private, leadership only visibility setting?
Yes, and making those settings should do exactly what you are trying to accomplish. Give the whole family household ward visibility, and then change each of the children to private, leadership only visibility.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

This also might be something to share in Ward Council or another setting. Many times when there are issues like this, it's not just the ward directory access that parents are concerned about. If there are parental concerns about members accessing their children's data, discussing this with other leaders might be beneficial. That way those leaders don't mistakenly share phone numbers or emails or such with other members, inadvertently causing issues with the parents.

I know if somebody asks me for a youth's phone number, I am 99% unlikely to ever check their privacy setting to make sure I should share it, I'll just look it up in my phone contacts and share. But if somebody tells me about the parents' wishes, I'll be aware and can respect that.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

If I remember correctly the contact info clearly shows that it is marked private (at least in tools).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jonesrk wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:14 pm If I remember correctly the contact info clearly shows that it is marked private (at least in tools).
Right. But BrianEdwards post suggested he got it from his phone's contact list.

This comes back to his point on WC training.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”