Shared Custody of Children

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
typhon

Shared Custody of Children

Post by typhon »

is there a way to list children in the household of both divorced parents?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Shared Custody of Children

Post by russellhltn »

I assume they are in different wards. They'll have to be added as "out of unit members" for one of the wards.

Help Center: Out-of-Unit Members and Callings

If they're in the same ward - I don't think so.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
typhon

Post by typhon »

they are in the same ward.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You can call support, but I'm not aware of any way to make that work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Just wondering, is this essentially to placate both parents and avoid issues with one of them feeling slighted because the children are listed under the ex-spouse's household? Or is there another reason this is desired? I completely understand if it's the first situation, but it would be interesting to know if there's another driving force behind this.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BrianEdwards wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:00 pm
Just wondering, is this essentially to placate both parents and avoid issues with one of them feeling slighted because the children are listed under the ex-spouse's household?
I don't know this situation, but in some cases the parents have been awarded a perfect 50/50 joint custody where the kids switch homes every week or so. So part of it is to reflect what's really happening.

It may also impact which parent the primary or youth leaders contact regarding their child.

Quite the dilemma.

typhon

Post by typhon »

it's a 50/50 custody issue.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

typhon wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:36 pm it's a 50/50 custody issue.
How often do they switch off? Once a week?

typhon

Post by typhon »

don't know. just know that they have 50/50 custody.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Definitely a delicate and sensitive topic. If it was a coordination and communication issue, perhaps the appropriate leaders could be told of the specifics (hopefully they're already aware of the general situation), and regardless of which household contains the children, the leaders would always ensure there is mutual and equal outreach to both parents, even if automated-type tools only included the household parent. But every case is unique, I've seen cases where one parent only received the children every-other-weekend, but that parent was the only one interested in Church-related matters, so that was the household that was determined for church book-keeping purposes.

It would be interesting to see what GSD says about this situation. In many ways I see this as analogous to when divorced parents with a 50/50 split live in different wards, often each one is adamant about being the 'home ward" household and wanting the other parent to be the "out-of-unit" household.

Return to “Membership Help”