Zoom cameras

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
michaelcox

Zoom cameras

Post by michaelcox »

In light of the 10/26/2023 letter "New Tools and Guidelines for Managing Local Broadcasts" it seems like using Mevo cameras to stream using Twitch, while really easy, will need to change.

Mevo has been really nice for our Ward and Stake leadership as there is a simple app on their smart phone to control the camera and the stream.

Does anyone know of a similar camera that will work with Zoom? Or of some kind of Zoom device that can interface with the Mevo cameras and control from a smart phone/tablet?

I know if I bring a laptop I can use OBS and NDI Tools but I'm trying to keep it simple for ward and stake leadership.

Thanks in advance.
Wattsuk

Re: Zoom cameras

Post by Wattsuk »

First of all, the new letter is just guidance, no command has been given to discontinue what you're currently doing.

Secondly, if you are using a mevo, just add a laptop into the chain and you can connect to zoom. You already have your audio and video sorted with the mevo so why change?

Just swap from the twitch selection to wired or wireless webcam mode on the mevo. Very simple to do.
michaelcox

Post by michaelcox »

Wattsuk wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:32 am Secondly, if you are using a mevo, just add a laptop into the chain and you can connect to zoom. You already have your audio and video sorted with the mevo so why change?

Just swap from the twitch selection to wired or wireless webcam mode on the mevo. Very simple to do.
I've been using a laptop and turning on NDI tools and doing just that for stake conference broadcasts. Harder to do that for each of the individual wards when Ward members may not have fast computers (tried doing that with someone and their old laptop was really bad). Was hoping someone had found something like Mevo that works from an app on a cell phone that could directly go to Zoom.
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

NDI is more resource heavy than wired webcam if that's an issue.

Although my 7 year old Dell XPS laptop works fine with NDI.

An alternative is keep streaming to twitch and then use a separate device to screen share the twitch feed into zoom.

We've tried a couple of devices that have zoom apps integrated and found varied success but the A/V quality was very poor, especially compared to the mevo which is good quality for something so user friendly and hassle free.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I agree there's no need to abandon what's already being done (for now), but it's not too early to search for alternatives.

The key phrase for research is "Zoom Rooms" They exist for "macOS, Windows, or Appliances". I don't have time right now for that rabbit hole, but I thought I'd get the group started.

There's also people running it on a Raspberry Pi via a "box86" emulator.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

Zoom rooms does incur a lot more cost in hardware and licensing.
simph1

Post by simph1 »

Hi,

Laptop Streaming (OBS etc)
1. Go into the cell phone mevo app settings and change the setting to "webcam mode" to on.
2. Plug the usb-c into the back of the mevo webcam and usb into your laptop

Cell Phone Streaming
1. Go to Mevo.com or YouTube (many tutorials on how to set it up)

First person to post instructions on how to use cell with zoom wirelessly gets kudos!

Simon
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

A nice little trick to enable wired webcam without accessing the mevo app is to double tap the power/multifunction button.
simph1

Post by simph1 »

Wattsuk wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:59 am A nice little trick to enable wired webcam without accessing the mevo app is to double tap the power/multifunction button.
Wow, thank you :)

However, how do you know if the sound is working? Sometimes there is feedback from the stage, and also how do you fix the fact it may perhaps not be pointing in the right position, and if your on the left or right of the congregation with the app you can zoom into the face of the speakers. etc... also who calls someone that is not technically minded who doesn't have technology? Makes my mind boggle.

Simon
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

Audio can be an issue.

The video feed will be displayed on the computer connected anyway if you need to take care in your frame.

Some of our local buildings have mevos hard wired and mounted now so it's a non issue for them.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”