Please Delete the Recordings, YouTube & Zoom

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
simph1

Re: Please Delete the Recordings, YouTube & Zoom

Post by simph1 »

Members would add the email, their first and last name, and a simple label 'please use your church account email' would solve that issue, that way leaders can link it to the person in their ward, trying to watch the ward's YouTube (at the time), on a system similar to what the church uses for this very site phpBB as you can see below above the image of Jesus... utilizing sessions and cookies, and other security measures like honeypots etc. . . and you are absolutely correct about church policy and privacy issues, which is the reason I raise the issues, is so that maybe the church technology department in Riverton, UT could take some of the ideas and build them into the system everyone uses, that would be the best and my no.1 desire would happen, if that makes sense... but without ideas being talked about and raised, how would the church know the issues, troubles, and ideas the technology people have that could be syphoned into new and better systems that would come into the future right?

What you think?

Simon
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

but without ideas being talked about and raised, how would the church know the issues, troubles, and ideas the technology people have that could be syphoned into new and better systems that would come into the future right?
I'm not sure that our chatter here in the Forum will generate any effects on the Church IT department and their planning. There are a few Church employees who participate in the Forum, but I am uncertain if any of them are the type of decision-makers that could act on ideas discussed here. Are you hoping that Church employees will see our thread(s) about this, read through and process the various different ideas, and then take that into their own internal decision-making procedures? Without a reliable way for our thoughts to be integrated into their process, my expectation would be that the Forum discussions would remain separated from Church IT planning.
simph1

Post by simph1 »

BrianEdwards wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:56 pm
but without ideas being talked about and raised, how would the church know the issues, troubles, and ideas the technology people have that could be syphoned into new and better systems that would come into the future right?
I'm not sure that our chatter here in the Forum will generate any effects on the Church IT department and their planning. There are a few Church employees who participate in the Forum, but I am uncertain if any of them are the type of decision-makers that could act on ideas discussed here. Are you hoping that Church employees will see our thread(s) about this, read through and process the various different ideas, and then take that into their own internal decision-making procedures? Without a reliable way for our thoughts to be integrated into their process, my expectation would be that the Forum discussions would remain separated from Church IT planning.
Therefore you are saying that again the church doesn't care about what people feel, think or share in this forum right? Just like they don't care who are the people who watch zoom and therefore there is no way to reach out to such people with afflictions, worries, sickness, and so forth, and therefore how can they say that ministering means so much to the church, without any kind of monitoring system of those who are watching from home? and perhaps no reporting system to be directly shown to the ministers over those people who sign into the broadcasts site to watch the broadcasts each week?

Simon
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Therefore you are saying that again the church doesn't care about what people feel, think or share in this forum right?
I'm not sure the Church has ever stated a stance on how they might internally take advantage of the Forum. They obviously support it, as it's fully included in search results from the Church webpages. But as a regular Church member, I'm just not personally aware of any structured way for our discussions here to make their way into official Church planning or discussion. The two ways I'm aware of that the Church provides for member feedback to make it into their system, is through the Feedback functionality available at the bottom of most Church webpages or inside Church apps, and also through the Priesthood leadership channels. You may feel that's insufficient, but most of the rest of us have likewise bumped up against these limitations regarding what we'd like to see implemented. One idea that some have suggested, is that when submitting Feedback, to point to the corresponding Forum thread(s) that include the discussion, so that Church employees processing the Feedback can reference those ideas shared here.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

@ simph1,
While the Tech Forum is sponsored by the Church it is not an official support channel nor set up for communications with, or to, ICS mangers or decision makers. The Tech Forum is user-to-user discussion and self help. If any ICS managers or decision makers visit here there is no indication that they do so. Any forum discussion getting to the appropriate people with decision authority through some sort of monitoring does not exist.

The Tech Forum does on occasion have Church ICS employees visit and provide valuable information and help. Most of those ICS employees can be identified by the Church Employee title and employee badge below their user name. A good portion of their posts, however, are done as regular forum users under the auspices of their Church callings, like you and me.

The official means of submitting feedback is as BrianEdwards mentioned. Additionally there is the Leader and Clerk Resources (LCR) > Help > Contact Us link to servicenow for those with the appropriate calling access to create a support ticket.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
simph1

Post by simph1 »

jdlessley wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:05 pm @ simph1,
While the Tech Forum is sponsored by the Church it is not an official support channel nor set up for communications with, or to, ICS mangers or decision makers. The Tech Forum is user-to-user discussion and self help. If any ICS managers or decision makers visit here there is no indication that they do so. Any forum discussion getting to the appropriate people with decision authority through some sort of monitoring does not exist.

The Tech Forum does on occasion have Church ICS employees visit and provide valuable information and help. Most of those ICS employees can be identified by the Church Employee title and employee badge below their user name. A good portion of their posts, however, are done as regular forum users under the auspices of their Church callings, like you and me.

The official means of submitting feedback is as BrianEdwards mentioned. Additionally there is the Leader and Clerk Resources (LCR) > Help > Contact Us link to servicenow for those with the appropriate calling access to create a support ticket.
Let us therefore theorize that you have a website, you have a subdomain created, then you fail to utilize the many thousands of technologists around the world. To utilize their ideas and thoughts through communication forum you setup as the church leadership. Doesn't it sound a bit strange and weird they would do such a thing, and then not utilize it for the further advancement of the church and its technology?

Where it seems to me that there is a big pushback from many in the church against technology, and you mention in any ward that one day there will be usb-c connectors on every pew, and that books and the library will one day disappear for replacement by e-books, and touch screens in each classroom and the tensions in the room rise to boiling point, as they look and respond to you in absolute terror at that thought?

Getting back onto subject, all I am saying is that if you create a meeting, inside of zoom if you have the credentials, you can delete the recordings, inside YouTube you can delete the recordings, and all you have to do as the TS is go into both if you use both, or one or other, and simply delete the actual recordings within 24 hours which is a mandatory policy set by the church in the hand book of instructions. :)

Simon
simph1

Post by simph1 »

BrianEdwards wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:49 pm
Therefore you are saying that again the church doesn't care about what people feel, think or share in this forum right?
I'm not sure the Church has ever stated a stance on how they might internally take advantage of the Forum. They obviously support it, as it's fully included in search results from the Church webpages. But as a regular Church member, I'm just not personally aware of any structured way for our discussions here to make their way into official Church planning or discussion. The two ways I'm aware of that the Church provides for member feedback to make it into their system, is through the Feedback functionality available at the bottom of most Church webpages or inside Church apps, and also through the Priesthood leadership channels. You may feel that's insufficient, but most of the rest of us have likewise bumped up against these limitations regarding what we'd like to see implemented. One idea that some have suggested, is that when submitting Feedback, to point to the corresponding Forum thread(s) that include the discussion, so that Church employees processing the Feedback can reference those ideas shared here.
Sometimes I wish Hinckley was still with us, the point you make would not even be an issue. He loved technology and if I am correct was the person who started the ball moving? It is insufficient, and church employees who build and make systems for the church, leaders and so forth should be involved at least a hour a day in my opinion, to get a feel of what people are saying, reporting, and increase communications between those called as TS, and other callings like when I was a programming missionary, that would then bring to pass greater and more meaningful systems built to benefit the members of the church more closely to what they need and desire from the ICS. It is a tool that is sadly being missed and ignored as many are saying in this forum and those around me in various stakes I belonged to over time, that it seem's we are sadly missing great opportunities to help the Lord our God in the work of technology.

Simon
simph1

Post by simph1 »

jdlessley wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:05 pm @ simph1,

I never disagreed, just saying it is a strange situation where you have an entire forum of technologists and ideas flowing back and forth, and yet when they are not even looking at this forum, perhaps they are missing out on a great opportunity to learn, grow and see what people's ideas are, and also to see what we need as a membership of the church perhaps?

I hope that clears it up. :)

Simon
RyanGard1977

Post by RyanGard1977 »

From their perspective, they need to keep things as simple and practical as possible. Lots of techs, geeks, nerds, engineers, and what not out there who each have their own ideas on how something should be built or run, but there are even more people out there who need things as simple and easy as possible, without all the bells and whistles.
Ryan Gardner
sson

Post by sson »

Wattsuk wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:16 am
simph1 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:00 am I was saying that the TS or STS should go into the Mevo settings and set it up for Zoom.

If you don't have a PC or Smart Phone how do you stream the broadcast?

What do you think about my solution regarding no account and no software needed?

Simon
I'm well aware of the additional hardware and configuration needed to convert legacy equipment for zoom. It's not complicated and as long as you have someone willing to donate a laptop, it's not costly but it is an extra unnecessary link in the chain.

I'm referring to those receiving the broadcast that may be challenged by technology. Those are the ones that often need help to connect at their end.
Yes, members can view YouTube on a lot more devices (e.g., most smart TVs, streaming boxes, etc). Zoom works only if members have a computer or smart phone that can run the app and they can get it installed. We had our stake conference this last weekend and spent a great deal of time trying to play "tech support" with home bound members wondering why they couldn't view stake conference on YouTube like they did in the past. ("Teaching old dogs new tricks.") I have requested that our stake building internet connection be upgraded (i.e., more upload bandwidth) so we can support both Zoom and YouTube streams in the future. Add me to the "don't fix what ain't broken" crowd.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”