Please Delete the Recordings, YouTube & Zoom

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
simph1

Please Delete the Recordings, YouTube & Zoom

Post by simph1 »

Hi,

I want to make a point where I am going through YouTube and I am suddenly seeing many wards showing up in my feed of their sacrament services on the platform.

This means that people have not heeded the instruction from the letter dated 26 October 2023, that was sent to us, to state we are not supposed to be using YouTube. "YouTube and other services are currently being reviewed but are not approved as official tools for broadcasting Church events.".

You can stream a meeting in Zoom without using YouTube at all, and I believe that was the intended request from us, to solely use Zoom and not YouTube, and then I heard people saying that it was a guidelines and not required, and this and that and the other; lets just do as the letter states is my opinion, if the Church states that we are to use Zoom and that at present time YouTube is not approved... then we should do as we are requested right?

But let us not forget that all recordings must be deleted within 24 hours! Please see the Church Handbook of Instructions 29.7. https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... e_number57 where it states "Stream recordings of ward and stake meetings should be deleted within one day after the meeting.".

I pray that we will remember these important things,

Please reply with your opinions and comments please.

Simon
Wattsuk

Re: Please Delete the Recordings, YouTube & Zoom

Post by Wattsuk »

Teach them correct principles and let them govern themselves.

There are many reasons why YouTube is still a better platform than zoom for serving those in need.

Whilst YouTube is not officially supported, that doesn't mean that it is actively discouraged.

Just as long as we are aware that we may get some support if we are using zoom, we certainly won't get support if using YouTube.
simph1

Post by simph1 »

Hi,

I appreciate your response.

May I ask if you state those things because the way you have been doing it for a long time is in place, and you would find it rather annoying to change to Zoom?

Points of view:

1. The church has spent a ton of money on Zoom licenses for every ward.

2. If you spend that much money they have spent, would you as the church want everyone then to use it?

3. The church was very poignant in the letter word wise, by stating "not approved" as the official...

4. The subject of the letter "New Tools and Guidelines for Managing Local Broadcasts" <-- new guidelines?

5. They also spent a load of money creating a new broadcasts website to make it easier for members of the church to find their broadcasts in a unified way.

I have hundreds more... but if you look at the "guidelines" to the "new tools" letter, in a deep and meaningful way you will find just like me, even though I too do not like Zoom, is indeed guidelines for us to follow. . . or do you still disagree?

Simon
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

Personally, I moved to zoom long ago. Occasionally need YouTube for overflow for larger meetings.

Reasons for YouTube being preferable.

Legacy church hardware such as teradek or mevo cameras (many of which were purchased and supplied just in 2020) were setup and are optimised for sending a RMTP signal to a server. Once the church stopped it's own server, many of those users just changed a few settings and carried on via YouTube. No additional hardware needed.

From the receivers end, YouTube requires no client and can be connected to by any smart TV with little to zero knowledge.

Unfortunately a large portion of the demographic that are being served just do struggle with technology and YouTube greases the wheels to help them at their end.

Even those wards who broadcast using YouTube, still use zoom for regular meetings such as ward council etc, do it's not like the local units license is going to waste if that's what you are getting at.

Pros and cons to both sides of the discussion.

I understand and recognise your points but also see the need for local units to do what serves them best, just as the general handbook shows us in many cases, local leaders can adapt and adjust as needed.
simph1

Post by simph1 »

1. RMTP was setup by your STS or other TS.

2. Zoom does not need an account or software, it can be seen via a website page like in your stake website "streaming" section (if you have one) ask me for details if you need it.

3. I am a former programmer for LDS Tech. If you use PHP here is the code to do no.2 $zoomlink = "https://app.zoom.us/wc/".$zoomid."/join ... &fromPWA=1";

In layman's terms https://app.zoom.us/wc/".$zoomid."/join ... &fromPWA=1 the ".$zoomid." is where the id of the meeting would go into!

Example: https://app.zoom.us/wc/80514694651/join ... &fromPWA=1 <--- 80514694651 is not a real zoom meeting number, just an example... that above link will get you into the zoom meeting where you only type in your name, no account, no installation of software or anything...

Does this answer all your points?

Simon
simph1

Post by simph1 »

Addendum

1. There are settings in Zoom that must be changed to allow this to work properly.
For example:
The option of ( Show "Always join from browser" option when joining from join.zoom.us ) must be turned on in Zoom account settings.

2. The meeting setup must be setup by a paid license. (viewers without paid license does not affect them in anyway shape or form)

Hope this helps

Simon
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

simph1 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:03 am 1. RMTP was setup by your STS or other TS.

2. Zoom does not need an account or software, it can be seen via a website page like in your stake website "streaming" section (if you have one) ask me for details if you need it.

3. I am a former programmer for LDS Tech. If you use PHP here is the code to do no.2 $zoomlink = "https://app.zoom.us/wc/".$zoomid."/join ... &fromPWA=1";

In layman's terms https://app.zoom.us/wc/".$zoomid."/join ... &fromPWA=1 the ".$zoomid." is where the id of the meeting would go into!

Example: https://app.zoom.us/wc/80514694651/join ... &fromPWA=1 <--- 80514694651 is not a real zoom meeting number, just an example... that above link will get you into the zoom meeting where you only type in your name, no account, no installation of software or anything...

Does this answer all your points?

Simon
RTMP was the standard used by the church for many years until recently. Once the settings were saved into a device like the Mevo or Teradek, it was a simple single button push and it was streaming.

Try and ask someone who struggles with technology to connect to a zoom meeting when they don't have a PC or a smart phone. Good luck. A smart TV with youtube is much quicker and simpler.

I'm not saying that there isn't a place and obviously some advantages to zoom. I'm just stating that broadcasting by youtube is easier for the sender and the receiver.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
simph1

Post by simph1 »

I was saying that the TS or STS should go into the Mevo settings and set it up for Zoom.

If you don't have a PC or Smart Phone how do you stream the broadcast?

What do you think about my solution regarding no account and no software needed?

Simon
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

simph1 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:00 am I was saying that the TS or STS should go into the Mevo settings and set it up for Zoom.

If you don't have a PC or Smart Phone how do you stream the broadcast?

What do you think about my solution regarding no account and no software needed?

Simon
I'm well aware of the additional hardware and configuration needed to convert legacy equipment for zoom. It's not complicated and as long as you have someone willing to donate a laptop, it's not costly but it is an extra unnecessary link in the chain.

I'm referring to those receiving the broadcast that may be challenged by technology. Those are the ones that often need help to connect at their end.
simph1

Post by simph1 »

Which is why Zoom does not need software, apps or an account to view the meeting.

This makes those challenged by technology have an easier time right?

Simon

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”