Zoom Viewer - No Account, No Software

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
simph1

Zoom Viewer - No Account, No Software

Post by simph1 »

I wrote this in reply to a different message but felt that this was important enough to state in a new feed:

1. Zoom does not require a zoom account, software installation if from a website browser.

2. There is a setting in the zoom account of a paid license (can't be seen in a free account settings) that allows a link to be shown in the join.zoom.us page to join the meeting directly from the browser, and all it requires is a name for the zoom meeting to allow them in.

3. A link like https://app.zoom.us/wc/<put your zoom id for the meeting here>/join?from=join&fromPWA=1 will allow this to happen, as long as the setting from point 2 is setup to on.

4. Why doesn't the church change the link in the broadcasts.churchofjesuschrist.org to this link instead? It would allow all members to see the meeting without having to install software, have an account and makes it far easier and better than us using YouTube?

I welcome your comments :)

Simon
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Zoom Viewer - No Account, No Software

Post by sbradshaw »

simph1 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:43 am 4. Why doesn't the church change the link in the broadcasts.churchofjesuschrist.org to this link instead? It would allow all members to see the meeting without having to install software, have an account and makes it far easier and better than us using YouTube?
It would be worth sending as feedback. I agree that it would be a better user experience. However, I think Zoom wants people to set up accounts and install apps, so if the Church made it too easy to bypass that, Zoom might not be happy, and it might affect the Church's contract agreement with Zoom.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
simph1

Post by simph1 »

sbradshaw wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:50 pm
simph1 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:43 am 4. Why doesn't the church change the link in the broadcasts.churchofjesuschrist.org to this link instead? It would allow all members to see the meeting without having to install software, have an account and makes it far easier and better than us using YouTube?
It would be worth sending as feedback. I agree that it would be a better user experience. However, I think Zoom wants people to set up accounts and install apps, so if the Church made it too easy to bypass that, Zoom might not be happy, and it might affect the Church's contract agreement with Zoom.
It is a system Zoom.us created, it is a page in their system that accepts a certain link, and even zoom.us developers added in a setting in the account to enable or disable it. Therefore it would not upset them, and therefore they want people to use the systems they make, therefore counters your argument on that point right?

Simon
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

..... therefore counters your argument on that point right?
I think we're all guessing here, sbradshaw gave you a possible idea, but I don't think he was stating it as his opinion. You may feel you have it sorted out, but the Church may have other considerations they will not share with general membership, for their own reasons. Often it is fairly impossible to determine if the Church has what we would consider "valid reasons" for implementing functionality as they do, or if they just haven't thought about things "well enough" to understand how they might benefit. Providing feedback as suggested would at least get your idea in front of somebody in the appropriate Church department who might be able to take action, or include it in their discussions.
simph1

Post by simph1 »

BrianEdwards wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:42 pm
..... therefore counters your argument on that point right?
I think we're all guessing here, sbradshaw gave you a possible idea, but I don't think he was stating it as his opinion. You may feel you have it sorted out, but the Church may have other considerations they will not share with general membership, for their own reasons. Often it is fairly impossible to determine if the Church has what we would consider "valid reasons" for implementing functionality as they do, or if they just haven't thought about things "well enough" to understand how they might benefit. Providing feedback as suggested would at least get your idea in front of somebody in the appropriate Church department who might be able to take action, or include it in their discussions.
I think you are correct about many things there, for instance to further the point, if you added a report to MLS for the Clerks, that shows who watched the Zoom meeting when they sign into the broadcasts.churchofjesuschrist.org then we would know who may need assistance. For instance, ask yourself why people are watching from home, and I bet you most of the time it would be because they are sick, have affliction, or are in need... therefore for not putting in such a system which is a quick and easy report system that could be built within a few days, could assist the ministering program and bless the lives of those who are watching from home, at no fault of their own other than their situations, which without such report, states we do not care perhaps who they are or if they have a problem or not is what you could also state perhaps?

What do you think?
Simon

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”