Zoom API

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
mrbitsch

Zoom API

Post by mrbitsch »

When Sacrament broadcasts were first authorized, our stake had already been using YouTube for stake conference broadcast. We decided the most cost effective option was to setup a camera and a RaspberryPi in each building, and to use YouTube in conjunction with the YouTube API and RTMP streaming for the Sacrament broadcasts, instead of each ward providing their own equipment, or purchasing laptops or other PC hardware.

We're still using that same hardware. We know the church has gotten behind Zoom as the primary platform for providing streaming. There are a lot of great things about using Zoom, although YouTube has a few advantages including better video/audio quality, and larger support for streaming clients (most TVs these days have a YouTube client, I'm not aware of many/any with Zoom clients). One major disadvantage to Zoom is the lack of RTMP support for INCOMING streams (they do support it going OUT if you want to simulcast to YouTube), and there isn't much of an API to speak of for doing thinks like automating sending viewer reports to the bishopric and ward membership clerk.

Zoom doesn't appear to be in much of a hurry to support incoming RTMP streams, which is a barrier for us as it would be the only way to use Zoom with our current configuration (running the Zoom client on Raspberry Pi is... challenging at best). Part of the reason they don't seem interested is lack of large users requesting the service. @russellhltn is there any possibility of the church making a formal request with Zoom to add support for incoming RTMP streams to help encourage them to bring this feature out?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Zoom API

Post by russellhltn »

mrbitsch wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:00 pm @russellhltn is there any possibility of the church making a formal request with Zoom to add support for incoming RTMP streams to help encourage them to bring this feature out?
I'll point out that the letter said "YouTube and other services are currently being reviewed...". Until that review is complete, I don't know as the church would push for that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mrbitsch

Post by mrbitsch »

russellhltn wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:40 pm I'll point out that the letter said "YouTube and other services are currently being reviewed...". Until that review is complete, I don't know as the church would push for that.
Why do you think they'd hold off on asking Zoom to add the feature while they're still reviewing using YouTube? Because in the meantime we can just use YouTube for RTMP support?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

YouTube is "not approved as official tools" but it's not banned either. In fact, for meetings exceeding 500 streams, it's unavoidable.

At the moment, it seems this is a policy in progress.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mrbitsch

Post by mrbitsch »

russellhltn wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:51 am YouTube is "not approved as official tools" but it's not banned either. In fact, for meetings exceeding 500 streams, it's unavoidable.

At the moment, it seems this is a policy in progress.
Right, I understand that, but my question is about adding a feature to Zoom, which is the approved tool, that is present in YouTube, but lacking in Zoom. So why would they hold off on that until they've made a decision on YouTube?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

mrbitsch wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:57 am
Right, I understand that, but my question is about adding a feature to Zoom, which is the approved tool, that is present in YouTube, but lacking in Zoom. So why would they hold off on that until they've made a decision on YouTube?
Oh, that is hilarious :)
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

So why would they hold off on that until they've made a decision on YouTube?
I think we're all on the outside of the Church's decision-making process. Some Forum members may have better guesses as to why the Church moves in the way it does, but I don't believe anyone here has any special access to the decision-makers. So it would be just as effective if you made the request, as it would be from any of the rest of us. That said, once the request is made, it wouldn't really be something anyone could track from the outside, to see whether it's being considered or not. Some might be a bit disillusioned with the process, but I'm always an optimist that trying is worth it :)
dave.swartz

Post by dave.swartz »

Have you considered setting up an RTMP server and then having OBS and your cameras connect to it. OBS could then forward the stream to Zoom using it's virtual camera technology.

Doug Johnson Productions posted on Youtube a tutorial on how to setup your own RTMP server 2 years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-UjQo_8_rY

Sometimes all it takes is the right middleware to hook up the parts. If anyone tries this please report back on how it worked out.
mrbitsch

Post by mrbitsch »

Haven't tried it, however it wouldn't fundamentally solve the problem of Zoom not having an API so wouldn't be able to automate the broadcasts.

Great thing about YouTube is that I've got a $45 headless RaspberryPi 4 in each building, and with a few python scripts the broadcasts all just handle themselves. With a web server running on each Pi for controlling the camera and to allow pausing the broadcast as needed, it's a very hands off system.

Zoom's great for interactive meetings, but the favoring of low latency over video and audio quality is disappointing for broadcasts were there's little reason to sacrifice quality for latency. Also the fact that YouTube clients exist for so many platforms makes it easier for people to be able to watch the streams. I do like the fact that Zoom actually gives you information on who's watching the streams, or at least the name they put in their client.

Not really looking to move to Zoom from YT, YT works great. My hope was more, it looks like the church might be moving more in the direction of Zoom, and if that's going to be a requirement going forward I hope they could use their position as a large user to convince Zoom to add some of the API's and RTMP support that makes YT possible with relatively low powered, headless, inexpensive equipment, that can be automated for a low maintenance broadcast setup.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”