displayed name for phone calls

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
stasiukp

displayed name for phone calls

Post by stasiukp »

The name showing up when making or receiving phone calls is not the name of the person in tools being called or calling. Why not? The phone number is correct but the name being displayed in the phone app is not.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: displayed name for phone calls

Post by russellhltn »

First, I'd make sure that the incorrect name isn't in your phone's contacts.

Secondly, I'd search member tools for the incorrect name. It's possible more than one person is using the same number.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Sorrano

Post by Sorrano »

I am having the same issue (using an android phone). The names of the people that I call (typically via tools) or call me appear to be randomly picked from Tools. They are not in my contact list. Once, when I had set the tools resource to the entire stake I had names from other ward members show up for calls. I suspect that there might be some corruption with my copy of tools, mostly because it will crash at the point of entering my pin about 99% of the time when I first attempt to open it. As far as I can tell the wrong name issue started happening sometime in December.

Thanks!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Sorrano wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:54 pm The names of the people that I call (typically via tools) or call me appear to be randomly picked from Tools.
I use an Android phone and I do not get any names at all. Caller ID via Member Tools has not functioned for me in several years. I have never turned it off, and I did a little troubleshooting when it first disappeared. Since then I have written it off as a bug.
granitecreek

Post by granitecreek »

Also on an android device and the Caller ID function stopped working for me about a year or two ago. I looked at the settings in Member Tools to verify Caller ID is on. It was on (I toggled it off and back on for good measure as well). However, it does say "May not work on all devices" under the setting. Is there any list with compatible or non compatible devices?

Hopefully it is a bug that will get fixed at some point...
pzylik

Post by pzylik »

I'm having this issue too on a new Android device. No matter who is calling from my ward, it shows a fellow from a different ward calling, same name and number every time. Definitely not working as intended.
pyz01

Post by pyz01 »

I am having this issue as well. What is happening with my phone is that the caller ID name it is selecting happens to be the first person in the first ward of our stake. No matter who calls me, her name (the first entry of the first person on the first ward - in alpha sequence) shows up. So I know it is someone calling from church -- but I have no clue who until I answer. Why does called ID for tool not work well with Android phones?
bonbredeschaine

Post by bonbredeschaine »

I am having this problem no matter Who I call or who calls me ID always shows the same name of a person in a branch and I am in a ward. They are the first name on that directory. I turn off the call ID then I don't know who's calling. I tried deleting app and reinstalling. Same thing. I just sent a message to church in the app. Good to see other people have same issue not just me but I really hope there is a way they can fix it soon. I don't even know the person that the ID says lol. I had people saying I called you a few times but never saw their name in my call log .Now I know why because this random name was always the ID.

Return to “Member Tools”