Membership record missing blessing ordinance and certificate...

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
TKenny

Membership record missing blessing ordinance and certificate...

Post by TKenny »

Have a question about the membership record of an 8-year-old male in my ward who was baptized September 2023.

His grandparents have adopted him and, from what I understand, his birth parents parental rights have been fully terminated.

His grandmother has provided me with his Blessing ordinance certificate prior to the baptism, but this ordinance doesn't show on his church record.

My bishop has requested that I investigate and see if there is a way we can get this ordinance and certificate added to this child's record.

Any thoughts? Does it matter if this is on his record with it not being a saving ordinance? Any help or guidance is appreciated on this.

Thanks in advance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Membership record missing blessing ordinance and certificate...

Post by russellhltn »

I think the first thing I'd do is attempt a "move in" to see if there's duplicate membership record somewhere.

I'm not sure what the status of the blessing information is now. It seems to have gone back and forth between being strictly local information that was lost when the record was moved to surviving the move.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

TKenny wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:11 pm His grandmother has provided me with his Blessing ordinance certificate prior to the baptism, but this ordinance doesn't show on his church record.

My bishop has requested that I investigate and see if there is a way we can get this ordinance and certificate added to this child's record.
Naming and blessing is not a saving ordinance. It is not recorded on membership records.
TKenny

Post by TKenny »

russellhltn wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:18 pm I think the first thing I'd do is attempt a "move in" to see if there's duplicate membership record somewhere.

I'm not sure what the status of the blessing information is now. It seems to have gone back and forth between being strictly local information that was lost when the record was moved to surviving the move.
Thanks for the information. We tried the move in approach and there wasn’t a duped record. Thanks again for the suggestion though.

Return to “Membership Help”