Baptism of 8 year old who is not on record

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wademitchell

Baptism of 8 year old who is not on record

Post by wademitchell »

We have an 8-year-old getting baptized this week. The mother returned to church about a year ago, and her daughter, who is now 8, was not blessed or on the records. The child of record form is only for children 7 and under. Should this be a convert baptism done by the missionaries or done through the ward? We were all planning on doing it at the Ward level, and the missionaries were instructed to do it that way since she's eight and not 9, but I don't think it will allow me to record the ordinance.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Baptism of 8 year old who is not on record

Post by lajackson »

wademitchell wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:08 pm We were all planning on doing it at the Ward level, and the missionaries were instructed to do it that way since she's eight and not 9, but I don't think it will allow me to record the ordinance.
According to General Handbook 18.7.1, the bishop holds the priesthood keys for baptizing 8-year-olds. You will be able to record the ordinance, as long as it is performed before the child turns 9. At that point, the ordinance becomes a convert baptism.
wademitchell

Post by wademitchell »

The bishop holds the priesthood keys for baptizing 8-year-old members of record in a ward. But this 8-year-old is not a member of record.

I'm not able to record the baptism of a person who does not already have a membership record.

To create a membership record, I have three forms available:
Blank Create Record Form (seven or younger) - The child is 8
Blank Create Record Form (eight or older with spouse or children) - Convert form/Child has no spouse or child
Blank Create Record Form (eight or older without spouse or children) - Convert form
Last edited by wademitchell on Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

wademitchell wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:51 pm I'm not able to record the baptism of a person who does not already have a membership record.
A record for children age 8 who are not members of record but have a member parent or guardian is created on the LCR > Membership > Create Record page. Use the blank form found on that page at the bottom titled "Blank Create Record Form (eight or older without spouse or children)". It will say it is for converts but is the form used in this situation because no record for the child exists. You can also partially complete the form by entering in the data on the page through birth location and then print the form. A parent or guardian must sign the form at the bottom. With the baptism form completed and an electronic copy created, return to the LCR > Membership > Create Record page and enter the data and upload the form.

The ward has the ability to create convert baptism records for those 9 and older. While it is the responsibility of the mission to teach, determine worthiness, and baptize converts, the record can be created either by the mission office/missionaries or the ward/branch. The ward/branch must complete a new record in LCR when the mission office/missionaries start the record creation process for converts.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
wademitchell

Post by wademitchell »

Thanks, everyone!

Return to “Membership Help”