WhatsApp enabling on the Ward Directory

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
kristaanncook

WhatsApp enabling on the Ward Directory

Post by kristaanncook »

I just discovered the WhatsApp enabling feature on my Directory listing.

Is there any guidance on how it works, who can use it, how, and so forth?
caillines

Re: WhatsApp enabling on the Ward Directory

Post by caillines »

Interesting. I haven't seen that option before. No idea what it will be used for unfortunately.

For those following along, you can see the option at https://account.churchofjesuschrist.org ... nformation under the contact phone number fields.
kristaanncook

Post by kristaanncook »

I did have an interchange with a Church programmer last March 2023 about bulk text messaging. (I had waited for the Church to start bulk text messaging but it never did.) He said it wasn't possible for the Church. It's too expensive and complex to send out bulk text messaging, especially with international carriers involved. In addition, carriers cut off bulk text messaging at about 10 recipients. He told me the Church had a pilot project with WhatsApp going. So, when I saw that button on the Directory, I assumed it is the result of that pilot project but I know no more than that. There is no instruction, guidance, announcements, or anything about it that I can find. That is why I'm asking.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Interesting indeed. I checked and discovered my contact phone number didn't have anything checked, so I toggled on the "can receive text messages", "can receive phone calls", and "this is my whatsapp phone #". I'll be interested to see where this goes. As mentioned elsewhere, the worldwide church is so disparate in what tech is used and who uses it, that anything they try and do, will assuredly run into roadblocks where many members will be left out. But at least it seems they're trying, which is better than not trying at all!

As for guidance, this is not the first time (and won't be the last), that implementation has preceded documentation. And the question always is: will the documentation actually arrive? I'd give it a 50/50 chance of having a structured rollout, with an official communication that contains links to Help Center faqs.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I don't know for sure, but I'd assume that if you have WhatsApp installed, and someone in your ward has checked the box for WhatsApp, if you go to the member's profile page in Member Tools you would see a WhatsApp button that behaves similar to the text and email buttons (it would open WhatsApp so you can start a conversation with that person).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
linktowhatsapp

Post by linktowhatsapp »

WhatsApp for bulk messaging can be expensive. You should just use it for inbound communications and donations.
thomass10

Post by thomass10 »

In a person's thinking, enabling WhatsApp on the Ward Directory could enhance communication among members by providing a convenient platform for instant messaging and updates. It could facilitate easier coordination of events, sharing of information, and fostering a sense of community within the ward.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”