Page 1 of 1

Protected Records

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:19 am
by kalnius
I recently made changes in an individual membership record which involved removing a past marriage and adding a new one. After sending this to SLC I got back a Membership Record Update from SLC stating that the member and her two children were moved out of the ward to "PROTECTED RECORDS." Of course, her membership record is nowhere to be found now in MLS.

What happened?

To my knowledge, she did not move from the ward.

I keep a hard copy of the membership records - should I use that to request the records be sent back to my ward?

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:55 am
by lajackson
Ozzy wrote:I keep a hard copy of the membership records - should I use that to request the records be sent back to my ward?

If you request them, you probably will not get them. You might want to mention to the bishop what happened, and he might want to call Confidential Records to find out what is going on, if he does not already know.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:10 pm
by kalnius
What does "protected records" refer to?

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:01 am
by charly3358-p40
Ozzy wrote:What does "protected records" refer to?
I think it's cases were the persons address or contact details can't be made public.

We had one sister that was a 'protected records' and disappeared as in your situation and we understood that it was because her ex was after her, which he was and the police were after him. The bishop was going to call membership records to ask about it but he never got round to it, so I'm not 100% sure if this is correct, and she eventually moved out anyway.

Best is to ask the Bishop to call HQ about this and find out exactly what is happening (they'll only talk to him by the way). I too doubt that they will send you the records if you request them.

It isn't anything about discipline or such since those are 'Confidential Records' not 'Protected'.

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:22 pm
by kalnius
Thanks for the clarification guys!


Protected Records

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:36 pm
by sgoodmansen
I have a reverse situation in my ward where a record came into the ward and when she was visited by her newly assigned hometeacher, she requested her information be deleted, because her exhusband keeps finding her via the church records and threatens her.

Do I need to send a Special Request throught MLS to make her record a Protected Record or does she need to request this herself somehow?

I have already removed her listing from the LUWS, but am concerned about what to do with it in MLS.

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:06 pm
by russellhltn
I do not know, but I suspect that the request will need to come from the bishop. I'd suggest you call local unit support to find out.