Satellite fully removed in USA and Canada?

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
mevans

Satellite fully removed in USA and Canada?

Post by mevans »

For whatever reason, back when they were removing satellite systems, the church decided to put in a new dish at our stake center and our satellite system has remained working...until recently. When one of the people on our stake technology team contacted the FM group about it, they said that their understanding is that the satellite has been removed from USA and Canada. Has anyone else heard about this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Satellite fully removed in USA and Canada?

Post by russellhltn »

Good question. I had a similar experience and though maybe it was just my FM that wasn't fully up to speed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

They kept the small dish system for a while and even replaced the C-band dish with a small one in some rare cases. I do not know if they still do that, since our stake had sufficient Internet access and did not ask the Church to swap out the satellite system so we could keep using it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've received confirmation that satellite is no longer used for North America - it's now 100% streaming.

I guess we can reclaim a bit of parking lot from the satellite dish.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

russellhltn wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:25 pm I've received confirmation that satellite is no longer used for North America - it's now 100% streaming.
Thanks for the further confirmation on this. It's too bad that none of our church buildings has good internet options. I believe our stake center has bonded-pair DSL. I think the last time I tested it we got something like 6 down and 2 up. It's not great, but it can work. Our other two buildings have wireless internet, which also has issues. We have someone in our stake with telecom construction experience who has been working to get better solutions. It seems the church is willing to spend some money to get wired internet to the buildings, but the charges from the telecom companies can be quite unreasonable. We thought we had one building solved and then the national account team for a cable company got involved and decided the local office wasn't charging the church enough, and the church didn't want to pay more. I think we're finally going to get another building going. Some utility pole politics was finally resolved and maybe in another month we'll finally have cable internet at that building. But the stake center...no luck there on improvements yet. The sad thing is that there's a cable drop right by the shed in the back of the parking lot for the houses on the other side of the fence. I was advocating getting a drop to the shed, then we could run it to the building for a much lower cost than the cable company would charge. No luck on that one yet.
russellhltn wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:25 pm I guess we can reclaim a bit of parking lot from the satellite dish.
I do wonder what the FM group will eventually do with the satellite compound in the parking lot. We have a more significant brick enclosure in the parking lot than I have seen at many church buildings over the years. Maybe it's because budgets were local back when the satellite was first put in and the church leaders wanted it to look nicer.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mevans wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:40 am I do wonder what the FM group will eventually do with the satellite compound in the parking lot.
We had a brick base with a wrought iron fence in the lawn. They took it all out, laid sod, and then forgot to adjust the sprinklers to water the new grass. It has since been fixed.

Return to “Satellite”