Lehi/Liahona traffic maanagement

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
kevinoler

Lehi/Liahona traffic maanagement

Post by kevinoler »

Is there any default or available traffic management between the Lehi ad Liahona wifi SSIDs?

I want to allow all users to access the wifi network, while offering a higher QoS (quality of service) to the Lehi SSID.
In other words, I want to allow all members to look up scriptures in Sunday School using the Liahona network, while the teachers can use the Lehi network without service degradation due to high usage on Liahona.

The wifi network is not the limiting factor here; the connection through our internet service provider is the limiting factor. If I could reserve a certain bandwidth (say, 1Mbps) for Lehi while Liahona gets the rest, that would help me. Or, if I could prioritize Lehi traffic, that work work too.

From what I have read so far, the only way to manage network congestion is to turn off Liahona. Have I missed something here? Would other units benefit from what I have described here? I think this would work well as a default configuration for all units, so that we can support priority services without disabling and enabling SSIDs on a regular basis.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Lehi/Liahona traffic maanagement

Post by russellhltn »

kevinoler wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:37 pm Is there any default or available traffic management between the Lehi ad Liahona wifi SSIDs?
I don't think so, and I tend to doubt if it's possible.

I'd expect the limitation would be the ISP's download bandwidth. In which case, the prioritization needs to be done at the ISP's end. That is, before the bottleneck, - not after.

Teachers should be encouraged to download the video before class. But not all lessons allow their videos to be downloaded.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

My guess is that members looking up scriptures isn't impacting this, as most should have Gospel Library installed on their phones and not have major bandwidth requirements. Also, it's unlikely that teachers would all be streaming videos at the same time during second hour every week (perhaps a rare occurrence, but much more likely it wouldn't always be simultaneous).

I definitely might be missing something, but my guess is that even in your ward it's not members doing "church things", but it's members doing "non-church" things that is the heavy hitter for usage. Your mileage will vary, but some of our members have cellphone plans with no data limits, and still use wi-fi by default. Other local members don't realize what background apps they have running, thinking they're not doing anything during church but they end up taking bandwidth from apps constantly checking their status. Others are simply bored and interact with social media or whatever during second hour, and don't realize there's other members doing similar things and it all adds up. Perhaps an announcement from the Bishopric in sacrament meeting that describes the issue that teachers are facing, would get enough members to diminish their (Liahona at least) data usage during those two hours, that your teachers could have what they need.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BrianEdwards wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:32 am Other local members don't realize what background apps they have running, thinking they're not doing anything during church but they end up taking bandwidth from apps constantly checking their status.
Not just status, but doing updates. A lot of apps consider "WiFi" as a free and unlimited service, while mobile plans have data caps.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aonu

Post by aonu »

Well since the organizations would have sent the study plan throughout the week people would have downloaded the content and since some contents like the holy scriptures and the they would have pondered the study l was thinking why wont just switch off Liahona and since Lehi is for local unit leaders they can easily connect and do everything that they are doing because l have come across an issue where the youth and other memebers intend to go to social media platforms and get busy posti ing and updating their ratings which if l take a look at , they are not gaining anything spiritual thought and they are literally not learning anything . But that was my thought l hopeit helps
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

aonu wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:24 am ... l was thinking why wont just switch off Liahona and since Lehi is for local unit leaders they can easily connect and do everything that they are doing ...
I suppose that might be okay for some units, but you wouldn't want to penalize everyone who could benefit from Church wi-fi, just because others are not behaving properly. The Church definitely intends for wi-fi to be available during church meetings, otherwise they wouldn't go through all the effort to provide and maintain that service. Perhaps emphasizing to the members the language of the Liahona terms of service, might reinforce the request to limit personal usage while on church wi-fi. Or perhaps not ;)
HooperJM

Post by HooperJM »

russellhltn wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:54 pm
kevinoler wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:37 pm Is there any default or available traffic management between the Lehi ad Liahona wifi SSIDs?
I don't think so, and I tend to doubt if it's possible.

I'd expect the limitation would be the ISP's download bandwidth. In which case, the prioritization needs to be done at the ISP's end. That is, before the bottleneck, - not after.

Teachers should be encouraged to download the video before class. But not all lessons allow their videos to be downloaded.
This is a correct response. Right now there's no way to divide and prioritize traffic between Liahona and Lehi.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”