Listen 4200 vs 5200

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
dave.swartz

Listen 4200 vs 5200

Post by dave.swartz »

We needed four more Listen ALS receivers. The FMG sent us four LR-4200-072 receivers instead of the LR-5200-072. When configuring the receiver using the Listen iDSP software the 4200 will only let us program one channel on the receiver. The 5200's would let us program multiple channels with distinct channel names. Programming multiple channels is important in our stake since we support English, Korean, Spanish, and Samoan. The assistant with the FMG said that the 4200 was the only option now available for purchase.

I post this here to help STS that support multi language stakes to be aware of the differences and do what they can to implore the church to make the LR-5200's available again for ordering by the FMG. If thing have changed and the LR-5200 is available again could someone please post that information.

One other hint. Where possible we use the Williams AV headsets with the Listen receivers. The Williams AV headset uses a tuned headphone cord as an antenna. While the Listen receivers do not require the headset cable for the antenna by using the Williams AV headsets, we can use the same headset for both Listen and Williams AV receivers.

For translation we principally use the standard Williams AV receivers. The Listen receivers are used to fill in when we do not have enough of the Williams units since both systems use the same frequency channels.
CalS201

Re: Listen 4200 vs 5200

Post by CalS201 »

Just a quick comment. There are several inexpensive FM receivers on AMAZON that will tune to the 72MHZ ALS band. The Retekess V112 is one that I have tested. It can store several preset channels and is about $15.
Retekess V112 Receiver.JPG
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

According to the 4200 user manual, you can select channels by pressing the up and down buttons together for 5 seconds.

https://www.listentech.com/wp-content/u ... 17-WEB.pdf
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dave.swartz

Post by dave.swartz »

Yes but the software wouldn’t let me program more than one. Is soon as I clicked the check box to enable that option it would deselect all others.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You might want to contact Listen support. I haven't tried it myself, just quoted the manual, but someone else on the forum mentioned it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

For those feeling lost - there's two "systems" being talked about here.

The Assistive Listening System (ALS) is to support the hard of hearing. There's a transmitter installed in the chapel sound system and the receiver has an earphone, but also accessories designed to work with hearing aids. Unless there's a second chapel in the same building, all church ALS systems use the same channel, so only single-channel receivers are needed. The church used to use Comtek, but now is using Listen Technologies. As far as I can tell, the LR-5200-072 is still being made, but may not be on FM's internal order form.

The church also supplies equipment for members translating the meeting. The transmitter is with the translator and the listeners have receivers. The church uses equipment from Williams Sound.

All three systems use the same 72MHz radio service, so the devices are mostly interchangeable. All are provided as needed by FM.

dave.swartz

Post by dave.swartz »

I just got back from church where I did a test on the 4200 receivers. As detailed in the manual holding down the up and down arrows will have the receivers enter a mode where you can select a channel and save it by pressing the power button. The channel names are as listed in the configuration software. For example if you set a channel label of English, Spanish, and Korean then when you enter channel select mode they will be listed on their assigned channels and the remainder will list ChanX.

I still prefer the 5200 but at least this unit will allow the issuer to help the user select the desired channel when the unit is used to backfill insufficient Williams translation receivers.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”