Webcast In

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
dave.swartz

Re: Webcast In

Post by dave.swartz »

The AV rack has a connection to support formerly a Terradek and now a RazrRipsaw. This connection is both an HDMI output as well as a 3.5mm stereo (M) output connection to allow you to attach one of these devices. To answer your question directly, for originating a webcast. As an originating source of the webcast the audio does not go to the chapel but instead the chapel audio is sent to the encoder.

The customer panel has multiple audio outputs. 1. The Chapel Mix output, 2. The Organ output, 3. A set of outputs that are simply cable pass throughs from the stand for wired choir mics. I think the intent is that if you want to prepare a custom audio mix for the webcast you can attach an external multi channel mixer to those outputs and then send the final mix back into the system using the Webcast in jack. The webcast connection would then receive this custom mix and pass it out to Zoom/Youtube or whatever you are streaming external to the building.

(We don't do this since I can simply take the output of the mixer and feed it into the webcasting computer directly via it's soundcard input)

The computer connects to the Razr Ripsaw or what ever HDMI/Audio capture device you are using using a USB cable that allows the device to emulate a webcam. Using OBS or Zoom on the attached computer you can connect to that webcam input.

Our method to feed audio into the chapel is documented in many of my other posts or at http://www.federalwaystake.net/Hosting. Fundamentally audio into the chapel from the rack is sent via the HDMI customer panel input and made available on the rostrum HDMI output where it is routed to a projector from which it is extracted from the feed and injected into the sound system using the RCA audio inputs on the rostrum. You could also use the HDMI customer panel input directly to inject audio but we do not do so since that setup is entirely dependent on someone on the stand to turn it on, and if they are untrained this can be a point of failure.

I realize that this is a bit complex and confusing, which is the reason for posting this stuff in the forum to help us all learn and gain a better understanding. Happy to help.
westonm

Post by westonm »

We have just had the new Audio/Video system installed in our stake. In our system the audio input that you refer to as Webcast In is labeled as Streaming Audio In.
I have had discussions with the system architect and he has explained that this audio input provides a connection to the mixing board through the Main Mix output. It allows the Organ and Chapel Mic outputs to mixed via a soundboard and makes the overall mix to be added to a streaming device through the Streaming In Jack.
We have also used to add the Organ output directly to the streaming input to brighten the organ audio in streaming.
Hope this helps
dave.swartz

Post by dave.swartz »

Westonm,

Could you post photos of your new setup? Who was the engineering firm? When was the install done?

I think the group would like to see what the current new setup is like.
westonm

Post by westonm »

Here is a photo of our video/Audio outputs. Our system was installed in February. The biggest challenge we had with the new system is the mic gating at the pulpit and output volumes on the audio outputs and streaming out ports. The system architect and contractor were really good at making modifications.
Attachments
Vic Stake Ctr Tech Control Panel_BW.jpg
dave.swartz

Post by dave.swartz »

Wow. Some Serious improvements. Especially in the programming of the touch panel at the rack. Here is what our 2021 control panel design looks like.
RackControlPanel.jpg
It looks like they have addressed many of the shortcomings of the earlier design.

Key changes include ability to:
  • mute microphones: program audio, pulpit mics, chapel mics.
  • turn on program audio from the rack, instead of having to make the walk of shame to the stand to press the button.
  • turn on chapel mic inputs.
  • turn on and off the system from the rack. This is huge if the users on the stand accidently turn off the system.
Additionally, I see that the new system supports more than one camera. This is great since it lets you frame the camera when off air before cutting to the shot.

The system also adds on the CP:
  • Chapel Aux input
  • Audio output (besides the chapel mix output)
  • Chapel line in
  • Cultural Center line In

The last is a very nice add, since it will let you send audio to the cultural center from the AV control room. Our system has no way of doing this unless you also send audio to the chapel and open the partition doors.

It also looks like camera control is over IP instead of serial. Nice!

Thank you for sharing. I am a huge proponent of users of this forum sharing their system designs. Not only is it fun to see what the latest design is, it also helps set the context of what your system is like so that this community can better assist you.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”