Webcast In

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
dave.swartz

Webcast In

Post by dave.swartz »

In the newer QSC based systems on the CP there is a jack labeled WEBCAST IN. It looks like it is wired to the QSC Amp as an audio input. Does anyone know how this jack is used? I have tried sending it audio and nothing comes out of the chapel sound system. I have also checked if audio comes out of the Webcast HDMI output and nothing does.

If anyone has any insights on how this is to be used, please let us know.

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Webcast In

Post by russellhltn »

On the podium, is there a control for "webcast"? I'm thinking this is a replacement for the old satellite system.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dave.swartz

Post by dave.swartz »

This on the equipment rack. The satellite system was discontinued before this design was released so there is no satellite system support.

Podium based inputs all work fine. It is the rack based inputs we need clarification on.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I was asking if there might be any podium controls that would control sound from the webcast.

In buildings that had a satellite system, there was a on/off button and volume control for controlling sound from the satellite system. But streaming has replaced satellites.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dave.swartz

Post by dave.swartz »

Podium Sat control is not part of the current design. I know what you are talking about since it was part of our previous system.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Question: what level audio were you sending? Mic or line?

dave.swartz

Post by dave.swartz »

Laptop headphone jack audio at various levels.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

How was it wired? The laptop has 3 wires out, and the webcast has 3 wires in, but the laptop is unbalanced stereo and the webcast is balanced mono. Connecting the wires straight though is going to result in the webcast is getting a (Left minus Right) signal, which for a mono program is going to be next to nothing.

Try setting the balance control on the laptop to one side so (Left-Right) has full volume.

dave.swartz

Post by dave.swartz »

Here is the authoritative answer. I am re-posting it here in the hope it will be useful to others.

"Your system includes an audio connection to be used for webcasting. By default, the audio for this is a preset mix of audio sources heard in the chapel.
When the system detects an audio signal on the input of the Webcast XLR In, it replaces the default audio mix with whatever is on the Webcast In."

My interpretation of how this was to be used was that you could have an external mixer that mixes the chapel mix, choir mics and organ and then replaces the chapel mix of these inputs with your custom mix for the webcast output. Since it is the webcast output that is targeted, it will have no effect on normal sound reinforcement. As a reminder this is for one of the newer QSC based systems being installed in Stake Centers.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Ok, but is this for receiving a webcast or originating one? In other words, were does the audio go? To the chapel, or to a feed for the computer sending the webcast?

It sounds like latter, but it raises a question of where does the computer connect to get it?

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”