Preferred name change access for executive secretaries

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mprusse

Preferred name change access for executive secretaries

Post by mprusse »

I'm serving as an executive secretary in our ward and constantly reaching out to ward members to schedule appointments, prayer assignments, etc. I'm learning how critical it is to know member's preferred names and discovering that a lot of membership clerks have never adjusted that for people in their wards. Executive secretaries can change phone numbers & addresses for people but not preferred names. It would be a huge help if we could get access to be able to make that change to member's records as well.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Preferred name change access for executive secretaries

Post by jdlessley »

mprusse wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:50 pmExecutive secretaries can change phone numbers & addresses for people ...
Executive secretaries can only edit member contact information and manage photos. A member's address is part of the membership record that only clerks with membership edit permissions and the bishop can change.
mprusse wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:50 pm It would be a huge help if we could get access to be able to make that change to member's records as well.
That is unlikely to happen since any changes beyond contact information and photos is changing the key elements of the membership record. That is the responsibility of the clerks with membership edit permissions. However, you can always submit feedback either through the Church website feedback link or up through your priesthood chain. The latter will require you to convince your bishop this is needed and he would have to convince your stake president this is needed, and so on up the line.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mprusse wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:50 pm Executive secretaries can change phone numbers & addresses for people but not preferred names. It would be a huge help if we could get access to be able to make that change to member's records as well.
The problem is convincing the powers that be that it's a desirable change church-wide. You'd probably have better luck asking the stake to be made an assistant clerk.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

mprusse wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:50 pm I'm serving as an executive secretary in our ward and constantly reaching out to ward members to schedule appointments, prayer assignments, etc. I'm learning how critical it is to know member's preferred names and discovering that a lot of membership clerks have never adjusted that for people in their wards. Executive secretaries can change phone numbers & addresses for people but not preferred names. It would be a huge help if we could get access to be able to make that change to member's records as well.
I'd guess if you were to talk with the ward clerk or the membership clerk you could reach an agreement where you give them the info and they'd update it fairly quickly.

Return to “Membership Help”