Plans of what to do with Old Computers

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
yaank.cso

Plans of what to do with Old Computers

Post by yaank.cso »

After Change Old Computers for new computers before send this old back to Church regional facilities, what are we supposed to do?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Plans of what to do with Old Computers

Post by russellhltn »

Check the Help Center.

Tech Wiki: Erasing a Hard Drive
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
yaank.cso

Post by yaank.cso »

Thanks
brad_p

Post by brad_p »

russellhltn wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:16 pm Check the Help Center.

Tech Wiki: Erasing a Hard Drive
Just chiming in that this approach no longer works. When a computer has too many updates the reset PC option no longer functions. I forget the exact message, but I was unable to proceed using the directions from the church.

I instead used shredOS and a USB jump drive (required some BIOS boot setting changes to get it to boot off the USB drive). That properly wiped the drive.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

brad_p wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:44 pm Just chiming in that this approach no longer works.
You may want still to try it first. I have wiped the last dozen administrative computers this way. They each had been in use five years. I do have a specially labeled killer flash drive that will do the trick in a pinch, but then Headquarters does not have an operating system to use.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

lajackson wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:40 pm ...but then Headquarters does not have an operating system to use.
In my experience, FM wants them scrubbed of old data, whether there's an OS left installed is irrelevant.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

Mikerowaved wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:35 am
lajackson wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:40 pm ...but then Headquarters does not have an operating system to use.
In my experience, FM wants them scrubbed of old data, whether there's an OS left installed is irrelevant.
Since MLS is no longer on computers in the US and Canada, other than any local documents or the like, there should be very little to scrub. I suppose some old MLS data could be there though.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Mikerowaved wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:35 am
That is correct. The Church is paying for the operating system, and they are able to reload it if desired. But the data needs to be gone, whether the OS goes with it or not.

Return to “Clerk Computers”